1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is SWM?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dheckman, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dheckman

dheckman New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I have searched the threads and cannot find a short description of what SWM is. Can someone clarify this term?

This term is mentioned in several of the new software loads for the H20 receivers.

Just after I posted this note I found this excellent post..

showthread.ph...ad.php?t=80686

Thanks anyway.

Don

(there is some rule that I can't post URLs until I post X number of messages so you need to add the beginning part of the URL to the quote above. Sorry.)

2. Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56 Godfather

Nov 9, 2006
    I beleive it stands for "single wire multiswitch" it allows you to run two lines to a DVR on one cable.

3. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    SWM=Single Wire Multi-switch

It allows you to run one line to an HR20/21 and use both tuners.

You can also run one line and add a splitter to hook up more than one receiver.

It works with the HR20, HR21, H21, H20, D12, and it will work with the R16 (SD DVR) when ever that comes out.

Do a search for SWM and you will find a lot of information on it.

4. dms1

dms1 Legend

Oct 25, 2007
    It is a single-wire multi-switch.

A normal multi-switch has one output cable per tuner (which means two cables for a DVR) and works by allowing each tuner to specify (via voltages and tones on the cable) which LNB it needs to connect to. All the transponders on that LNB are then piped down that particular cable.

An SWM uses just a single wire that is connected to multiple tuners by normal splitters, much as cable TV is distributed through a home. With an SWM, each tuner tells the SWM which transponder it needs, rather than just which LNB, and only the signal from the transponder is put on the cable. A negotiation process chooses what frequency that transponder is put on so that the tuner knows how to recover it, and several transponders (five or eight) can be put on the same cable at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.