1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What is the best/convenient method of streaming slingbox to HDTV?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by unr1, Jul 19, 2013.

1. unr1

unr1 Legend

Jul 16, 2005
    I want to setup an HDTV and stream slingbox over it
    I only have about 3-4 mbps bandwidth upload from the source

So I know I'm not gonna get perfect HD but I want something easy to navigate with a remote. Kinda like how good the regular dish dvr remote is.

What are some good options? Built into a TV? Peripheral device? Laptop?

I appreciate your feedback.

2. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Let me see if I understand your question.

You have a TV at location A and a slingbox at location B and want to stream the Slingbox output to that TV.

I would connect the TV to a laptop or other PC with an HDMI output.

The 3 or 4 MB upload should give you a pretty good HD picture.

3. unr1

unr1 Legend

Jul 16, 2005
    here's my speed test

[​IMG]

Jim, that's exaclty what I want to do. Thanks for the tip.

btw, I tested this and I got 1.25 MBPS on the slingplayer web app. What's the best way to use it on mac/windows? Wasn't there a standalone, I can't seem to find that. With the remote control on screen.

4. unr1

unr1 Legend

Jul 16, 2005
    btw... MBPS, mbps, and Mb/s
    are all the same right? :)

5. unr1

unr1 Legend

Jul 16, 2005
    I'm actually upgrading my cable in a few days. I should eb getting a solid 2-3 MBPS up. I'll find out later.
    But this upload sucks for what I pay for ($55/month).

6. unr1

unr1 Legend

Jul 16, 2005
    It's really confusing because I have the slingadapter. I use to have the slingbox pro I think it's called. But anyway, dishonline is alright but I miss slingplayer features. I'm not sure how to access slingplayer using a slingadapter connected to a 722

7. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I don't believe you can connect the two.

8. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Slingbox has its own separate software/ incompatible with Sling Adapter.

Slingbox - you log into www.slingbox.com, sling Adapter you log into www.dish.com.

For a short time there was an interval where the Slngbox software worked on the sling adapter, but no longer - and I agree, the Slingbox software is highly superior to the Sling Adapter crap.

Dish should unite the two into the same software package and not the one they use on the sling adapter!

9. unr1

unr1 Legend

Jul 16, 2005
    sigh, that's so lame.
    Well, my dish contract is up in a year and a half. Hope they shape up by then.

10. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Or?
    To have the new built in APP in streaming devices for the Slingbox that just recently came out, Dish changed the way the Sling adaptor and Slingbox work.