1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best router/switch for 6+ connections

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by woj027, Aug 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I currently have a Linksys wireless router that has 4 or 5 outputs besides the wireless g. Now with DECA, one of those outputs is currently being used. I have 6 Cat5e outlets throughout the house that may be used at any given time (1 for PC almost always on, 1 for TV/Reciever with internet functions, and 4 others for occasional use - improve connection speed for laptop downloads)

Should I buy an 8 port switch and just connect the router to the switch then to all the various outlets? Or should I do something else? Spend more money on something that essentially will do the same thing? 802.11n?

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Getting an 8 port ethernet switch is probably the easiest thing to do - zero configuration on your part - just plug and go.

3. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    What scooper said.
    KISS applies

4. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    who you calling stupid? :grin:

5. zx10guy

zx10guy AllStar

Nov 16, 2008
    I'd probably look for a 12 or 16 port switch. The price difference isn't that much and it ensures you have plenty of growth space within the switch. Remember, it's always better to keep layer 2/LAN traffic all within the switch as the traffic is traversing the switch's backplane. If you run out of ports and end up uplinking/cascading switches, you will bottleneck throughput between switches over the single uplink connection which is always slower than the backplane.

6. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Cisco Catalyst 3560 24 port swich. :p

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I have a couple in my garage ready to ship :p Oops, actually 2900 XL.

8. zx10guy

zx10guy AllStar

Nov 16, 2008
    It's not a 24 port one but it's still a 3560:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Is it home rack or you just steal a thunder ? :)

10. funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    I would pick up a Linksys or Netgear Gigabit Switch with at least double the amount of ports you think you need. This will give you room for growth which I am sure you will eventually need for something.

Personally I picked up a 24 Port Dell Managed Switch several years ago and its been working great. I do however have an 8 Port Netgear Switch in my entertainment center to deal with my 2 D* HD DVR's, Slingbox and HTPC. So you can uplink without much of an issue with Gig since getting upward of Gig speed with a single system is really hard to do these days. I know that will change as time goes on but I don't think you will notice the difference.

Any of the Major Brands will work fine and if you aren't looking for any bells and whistles like Managed or PoE then just pick up whatever you find on sale and you should be fine. No need to pick up a WAY over priced piece like Cisco or Extreme Networks (My personal favorite). They are made for Enterprise Environment with features most people will never use in a home environment.

Hope this helps

11. zx10guy

zx10guy AllStar

Nov 16, 2008
    My home network rack. :D

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Eh, common. What are two 5505 doing there ?

13. zx10guy

zx10guy AllStar

Nov 16, 2008
    When I bought the first 5505, it just came out. So the licensing set up wasn't well known in terms of what the various features are. The first 5505 I purchased had the base K9 license. I didn't know that it limited the ASA to only 2 forwarding VLAN interfaces and a DMZ. I needed more forwarding VLAN interfaces. Looking at the pricing of a license upgrade or purchasing another 5505 with the Security Plus License, I opted to purchase a new one. The older 5505 is being used as WebVPN concentrator while the newer 5505 is the main internal firewall/router for my network.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would imagine what' s your workload at home, or perhaps your home is the workplace ?

[Just for curiosity - do you have Visio schematic of your network and devices ? I see much more interesting gadgets in your rack and in that standalone stack. I would think you should be a professional in networking to keep all those boxes at home. CCIE ?]

15. bikenski

bikenski Cool Member

May 25, 2010
    I count at least 4 Routers and 3 Firewalls in that home network, in addition to the switches. I've been thoroughly out-geeked! :D

16. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I gotta go with CCIE on that one. Wow, that's a lot of awesome hardware.

17. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    All that nice hardware and a crappy Westel DSL modem from the phone company? ;)

18. zx10guy

zx10guy AllStar

Nov 16, 2008
    First off...OP....Sorry for the thread jack.

As far as my home network stack is concerned and its use, I am not a CCIE but will eventually try to get the certification. I do work with a lot of Cisco gear at my job. A lot of gear that many people only dream about touching. I routinely work with the big Catalyst 6500 switches along with their SAN fabric switches to WAAS to the ASA firewalls to the ISRs and Call Manager. Since I like to tinker, I put together the equipment to play around with configurations I want to test out based off of designs I put together at work.

For those wondering, I have 2 1841 routers with T1 cards, a 2611XM with 2 T1 cards, 2960G 8 port gig switch, 3560 9 port PoE switch, 1 ASA 5505 with the base K9 license, 1 ASA 5505 with the Security Plus License, and 1 1861 router with Call Manager Express/Unity Express. The other gear I have is mostly the ProSafe SMB line from Netgear....GS748TP, FVS338, WG102, GS108T, and WNDAP350. I also have a Linksys 5 port smart switch I use in my A/V rack.

Yes, it's a shame I am ham strung with DSL. I can't anything faster in my neighborhood or I would have. Paying a premium for T1 doesn't make sense right now. It sucks because I do some hosting on my network and to manage that meager upload bandwidth is killing me. I recently consolidated my server farm into two servers: one file server and one VM server.

[​IMG]

And yes, I use Visio to diagram my network. Here's an old one I put together which is really out of date based on what I am currently running.

[​IMG]

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    That old Compaq server looks familiar - is it DL360 ? ;)

Thanks for pictures and VSD.

20. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I have a desktop AND a laptop.