1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the DirecTV "VIP Package"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by wilbur_the_goose, Mar 18, 2013.

1. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm watching Morning Joe today, and one of the talking heads says she had the "DirecTV VIP Package". According to her, she was able to watch last weekend's CPAC convention on DirecTV.

Is there really a package for "VIP's"?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The only thing I can think of is VIP installation which is a little more than the "standard" installation. There are a lot of packages I don't know about but I've never heard of that one.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I thought I read a post once where someone had that. It was a flat fee per year of several thousand dollars. It had all the receivers you wanted and every bit of programming that came on the DTV satellites including all of the sports channels and PPV channels.

4. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I think that was called the Titanium Package.

5. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    At one point I was offered that package. IIIRC it consisted of a flat annual fee of like 5k that enabled one to have ALL services and unlimited receivers.

I had been whining to a CSR about the costs of maintaining just the lease fees on my enterprise which then was like 8 service machines. Pre DBSTalk era for me and the CSR suggested this plan.

Don "a bit beyond my limits of sustainability what with retirement looming" Bolton

6. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
  7. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I wonder if they offer a special package for people they consider "VIPs" - big-name actors, jocks, news types, politicians, etc?

And, was CPAC available on D* this past weekend? (I'm definitely not a CPAC type, but I always appreciate hearing what we all have to say)

8. Sandra

Sandra Legend

Apr 16, 2012
    Sorry us VIP's have been sworn to not discuss the VIP package with commoners such as yourselves...:contract: :D

Sandra

9. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    C-SPAN aired it, so it wasn't something that would be a "VIP" exclusive

10. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    The way Joe Scarborough was talking about it, it seemed like a "mix" channel...multiple feeds of coverage, each of a different aspect of the conference, on a single screen.

11. Lugnut

Lugnut AllStar

Feb 11, 2013
    Eagle, Idaho
    There's not just one "VIP Package".

There are scores of different customized packages for all sorts of different customers that have special arrangements with DirecTV.

The pre-paid $10,000 per year package that is no longer offered is called Titanium.

12. Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia Legend

May 10, 2010
    Is that the one OJ had? :grin:

13. Lugnut

Lugnut AllStar

Feb 11, 2013
    Eagle, Idaho
    Minus the $10,000 :lol:

14. levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    I wonder if it includes both the NY & LA big 4 feeds...that the "rest of us" don't qualify 4.

15. donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005 Legend

Feb 13, 2012
    This package unlocked ALL the channels to include all ppv and adult programs. Not to mention all overseas packages also.

16. levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    So, once again, some are above "the law"? Once again...not surprised.

17. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    Titanium customers must qualify for DNS through the usual channels. DNS is provided only if the service address qualifies.

18. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    I think Titanium was all channels with NO black outs.

It mainly was to put a price on the cost of the hacked boxes / cards that got all channels.

19. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Since it was an official package there had to be some blackouts due to contracts (as well as legal issues when it came to DNS since it was around the same time the FCC started cracking down on DNS rules). i.e. someone in CSN Philly territory would still be blacked out of the games, and I doubt they got any of the private network broadcasts in the 570s.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    at least it used in a court to justify a fee for violators (not a hackers) whose watched but programmed the cards