1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What is the model HDDVR for a protection plan swap out

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dinotheo, Aug 19, 2014.

1. dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    Hey folks,
    If you see my sig, you will notice that I have quite the complicated setup. I have 19 HD TV's connected to 14 receivers.

I really wish I could swap out my non-HR24 receivers for HR24s (except for the HR20s....I can live with them). But I know that this won't be feasible. I have one HR22 that has been having issues recently. I can live with the issues but I'd call in a protection plan swap if I knew I'd get an HR24. My question....are they sending out non HR24 receivers for HDDVR swaps?

Thanks,

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Best chance at a 24 is with a truck roll. Still no guarantee though.

3. dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    Thanks. I flat out refuse a visit from them. I have had too many "techs" look at my setup and say "you aren't supported". When what I needed from them had nothing to do with my setup. (Last visit I had from them required a bad lnb to be swapped. The tech wouldn't swap it because according to him I had too many receivers on one dish....ggrrrr!!!!)
    I was hoping for a swap with protection plan on that one flaky HR22 receiver. That receiver isn't flaky enough for me to lose its recordings for another HR22/23. But if I knew I'd get an HR24, I'd give up its recordings.

I've seen people say that DTV isn't even asking for some HR24s back. That made me hopeful that maybe they wouldn't send anything but an HR24 out via FedEx for a swap.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It is true that HR24-100s are no longer recovered. But it is also very possible that if they replace an HR22, you might get an HR22.

5. dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    That is what I figured....though I was hoping it wasn't the case. I will just live with that flaky HR22 for a while longer.

Thanks,
    Dino

6. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    i just had an hr34, which was going bad, swapped out for an hr44.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Shipped or truck roll?

8. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    With all of the other DVR's in your house, Why don't you move any scheduled series' off of the flaky HR22 to another DVR and make an effort to watch all of the programming that's already on it? Then, once you've watched it down to empty, you can swap it out with nothing to lose. If you get an HR24, great. If not, you're no worse off than you are now.

9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    HR23 would be the least you would get

10. dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    I would but it is in my daughter's room (she just turned 7). So most of the recordings are her shows that she watches repeatedly ad nauseum. (Though strangely she doesn't really watch TV in her room) For an HR24, I'd be willing to sacrifice it. (Many of her shows are also recorded elsewhere).

11. dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    I am ok with my HR34 except for one, rarely encountered issue. But when I encounter it, I want to throw it against the wall. When the unit powers up (due to a loss of power so it is rare). I can't use it for a very long period of time. Sometimes it doesn't come back and I have to unplug the HDMI cable and reboot it. Then I have to let it sit there for an hour or so.