1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the required uplink bandwidth needed for a Sling box

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by ratompkins, Nov 8, 2012.

1. ratompkins

ratompkins New Member

Nov 2, 2012
    I have 3 MB DSL from ATT, but the upload rate is only around 300KB. I get messages that I can't get HD and often can't get any signal at all.
    What bandwidth is required for the Sling box.

2. RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    You can check the required speed by device by visiting http://www.mydish.com/support/slinging-device. Please let me know if this helps. Thanks!

3. ratompkins

ratompkins New Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Thanks for the info. Using a smartphone the required BW for standard definition is 250KB and high definition required 500KB. So basically you are not going to get high def and standard def is iffy. I gave up and unplugged my slingbox months ago since it rarely worked.

4. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    I have 2 setups...one has 1 meg up and the other about 500kb.....the one meg blows the doors off the other....a friend that had 5meg is stunning!

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is important not to blame the Slingbox for your lack of bandwidth.

6. ratompkins

ratompkins New Member

Nov 2, 2012
    I have limited experience with Broadband, so my question is what is the normal upload bandwidth. I have experience with ATT DSL and Windstream DSL and they both are 3MG download and approx 300KB upload. When I talked to them about the up load speed they both said 300 MB was standard.
    Appreciate your input
    Thanks
    Bob

7. eddwall

eddwall Cool Member

Feb 8, 2012
    6 meg DSL service at the house.

Really pleased with the sling adapter. I have two slings, one for each Hopper.

Able to get most attempts in HD.

Plan to upgrade my phone to Galaxy S 3 or a note for bigger screen & better viewing. And of course the 4G LTE can't hurt either.