1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What is the world coming to? Oxford proclaims 'selfie' word of the year for 2013...

Discussion in 'The OT' started by cj9788, Nov 19, 2013.

1. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Lhttp://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24992393

""Selfie" has been named as word of the year by Oxford Dictionaries.

The word has evolved from a niche social media tag into a mainstream term for a self-portrait photograph, the editors said.

Research suggested its frequency in the English language had increased by 17,000% in the last year, they added."

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Never heard it before, twice today.

3. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I'd heard the term before, but didn't know what it meant (it dates back to 2005, according to Wikipedia), but the concept goes 'way back,perhaps to 1900.
    http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/selfie

4. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    you are one up on me. This is the first I've heard of it.

5. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Heard it this morning on Mike and Mike. Discussing the same article.

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    My grandkids use it alot - Facebook encourages it and "smart" phones make it easy to take a selfie and post it thus creating a record of your activities that will haunt you the rest of your life. According to a BBC article from yesterday:

Many Oxford Dictionaries words of the year don't stick around, but this one probably will.

What is the world coming to? In January "hashtag" was named the American Dialect Society word of the year for 2012. So I'd say the world is coming to recognize the role of our extremely portable computers - smartphones and tablets. I'm not sure just how that will become truly productive for our human economy. But I'm old.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sure hope "irregardless" hasn't been added. But my spellchecker doesn't flag it irregardless of how I type it. Wonder why, or did I miss it being added?

Rich