1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this: DIRECTV DVR Service Monthly fee: $5.99

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Everyperson, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 8, 2007 #1 of 43
    Everyperson

Everyperson AllStar

Nov 26, 2006
    Just saw this on my current bill: DIRECTV DVR Service Monthly 5.99

Could someone explain what this new charge is for.
    Thanks.:confused:

2. Nov 8, 2007 #2 of 43
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I take it you just got your first DVR (HR20/HR21/R15/etc)?

That is the fee for the DVR service. One charge per household for 1 or more DVRs.

3. Nov 8, 2007 #3 of 43
    badmonkey

badmonkey AllStar

Nov 18, 2005
    That is the flat fee paid for having the DVR service active on your account (which is required if you have any DVRs). That fee should have shown up with the first DVR you added to your account. Did you just recently add your first DVR?

4. Nov 8, 2007 #4 of 43
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    It is the DVR fee.

I assume you have the Premier package and never been charge for DVR service before?

If so did you make any changes to your account of add any new equipment lately?

5. Nov 8, 2007 #5 of 43
    onin24eagle

onin24eagle Legend

Aug 6, 2005
    Is that fee waived if you have Premier package?

I have 3 Tivo's and have never paid a dvr fee due to having premier.

6. Nov 8, 2007 #6 of 43
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    No, it was removed from Premier back in July.

But if you had Premier before July, you are grandfathered in.

7. Nov 8, 2007 #7 of 43
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Yes if you had the Premier package before July 12th. After that date it is not included any more.

If a change has been made to the account including adding equipment it may have be removed. If so you need to just call back and have a CSR fix it.

8. Nov 8, 2007 #8 of 43
    Everyperson

Everyperson AllStar

Nov 26, 2006
    I had 3 DVRs before July. But recently I added an h21-700. I'll call a CSR now to get the charge removed for the past 3 months. Thanks.

9. Nov 8, 2007 #9 of 43
    CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    You'll probably need to speak with a supervisor so that you continue not to be charged.

But, try the CSR first. The CSR MAY be able to delete the charged DVR service and instate the grandfathered DVR service.

We will see.

10. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    I've had Premier for quite a while now and I remember seeing on the old bills that the DVR fee was free. There was an item on it that said DVR and showed up as $0.00. However, I did not have a DVR then and still do not have any DVRs now.

Since I'm a customer that has had Premier, will I be charged if I decide to add a DVR to my system now or will I be grandfathered in and have the fee waived?

11. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    You MAY be charged, but what you would need to do is call in and let a CSR know that you should be grandfathered in.
    If they cant do it, ask to speak to a super, if the super cant do it, they'll xfr you to retentions, but, the super should be able to do it.

12. Everyperson

Everyperson AllStar

Nov 26, 2006
    Just got off the phone with a Supervisor at D*. He'll remove the DVR service charge for the past 3 months and give me free DVR service for the next 12 months. I think I'm getting screwed by D* once again. The "grandfathering" in was IF I never added or switched out another HD DVR--according to them. I did switchout a D* Tivo and added a HR 20-100 in its place. Any suggestions? Speak to another supervisor, etc.?

I've been with D* from the start and these things make my blood boil.:nono2:

13. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    OK.
    now would be the time to call retentions and have it straightened out. Just try to keep your cool.

Check your PM in about 35 seconds

14. onin24eagle

onin24eagle Legend

Aug 6, 2005
    Cool, I've never switched to any mpeg 4 receivers. I've always had tivo's. They did swap out a SD Tivo a couple of years ago, so will I still get a waiver of dvr fees?

15. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Everyperson,

What may have happened is that you removed your primary receiver that had the old premier service .. the new premier service does NOT include the DVR service for free. When you switched your primary receiver, the CSR likely did not properly handle the changeover and gave the the "new" premier service instead of the "old" premier service.

As far as I know, it sounds like the only thing that should have changed on your account was the addition of an HR20 receiver and the subtraction of your previous receiver .. hopefully they can clear it up for you.

16. chopperjc

chopperjc Godfather

Oct 2, 2006
    Yes, as long as you had premier prior too July no problem.

17. gpg

gpg Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    I've been struggling with a similar problem for my last 2 billing cycles. I've had Premier from the beginning, but when D* added the Starz HD and Cinemax HD access to my account in September, my next bill showed only a 3-month waiver for DVR service. I called immediately and a CSR told me they had mistakenly given me the new Premier and supposedly fixed it.

Of course my next bill had the same indication, except now I only had 2 months free dvr service left! I called again and was told not to worry, but there is no way to correct the legend on the bill. A supervisor told me that my account info is correct and that I won't be billed for dvr service despite what the invoice says.

I wish I knew how to contact the Office if the President group. They probably could help me out.

18. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    They're copying E:lol: :lol: :lol:

19. GAM

GAM Member

Jun 3, 2007
    I had an extensive conversation about this very subject the other day with a supervisor in retention as it now affects me as well. They were grandfathering in until a few weeks back. They now no longer have the ability to access the old Premier so everyone that changes anything will be charged the new $5.99 fee. She also indicated as time progresses everyone including people grandfathered will be charged. Depending on how many credits you have had on your account they might agree to credit the fee for a while.

20. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    GAM .. Interesting .. I certainly haven't heard this until now. Perhaps the "eventually" was with respect to people making changes. The more folks that make changes, the less folks that are grandfathered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.