1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What is "trick play"?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by jrdnyquist, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrdnyquist

jrdnyquist Cool Member

Sep 13, 2006
    I've seen the term "trick play" thrown around but I'm not sure what it means. What is trick play and how do I use it?

Side Note: HD locals recently became available in the Charlotte NC area. I have my Sat guy here today tearing out my 1000 and 500 dishes and he's replacing them with a 1000+. I do use OTA but It will be nice to have sat locals as well since I pay for locals anyways.

Thanks,
    -jrdnyquist

2. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Trick Play is the term used to describe the abilities provided by the FF/REW/Pause/Skip keys.

3. skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1 Godfather

Sep 28, 2006

That doesn't work very well anymore.. :(

4. jrdnyquist

jrdnyquist Cool Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Odd I've never had problems problems with FF/RW/Skip/Pause that I've noticed. How do you reproduce a problem with those functions?

5. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    I agree with skyviewmark1, to a certain extent. I've noticed that FF and REW is not as fluid now as it used to be and even at full speed it doesn't seem nearly as fast as it used to be. However, I am not having problems with skip.

6. jrdnyquist

jrdnyquist Cool Member

Sep 13, 2006
    That makes sense. I use skip forward/back 95% of the time. FF/RW seems ok but I guess it could be smoother and/or faster. I never critically looked at in L3.66 and older though. Skip has always been rock solid I use it constantly before and after L4.03 (I never noticed getting L4.01). I absolutely LOVE the skip function.

7. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    Try it on slow mode (pause, skip forward back,etc). It is definitely a little more eratic then it was but I think this may predate l366. I've been wondering if they made changes to try and bypass the Tivo patents.

8. skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1 Godfather

Sep 28, 2006
    That was my thought too.. That it had something to do with patent issues.. All I know is that the slow motion is now horrible on some. Seems to be worse on the 129 or maybe it is the mpeg4 stuff.. Not really sure. Skip forward and back are fine as long as you don't do it to many times in sucession. Mostly just the slo-mo features and the top speed fast forward.

9. TulsaOK

TulsaOK DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 23, 2004
    I think we've been tricked, huh.

10. joebird

joebird Legend

Sep 15, 2003
    I was just about to start a thread on this very topic. The trick play (and here I'm talking about pausing, frame advance/backup, slow-mo -- not the two skip ahead or backup buttons) have really deteriorated over the last couple of releases.

I don't remember the release versions, but it got screwed up a few releases ago, and those same problems are still here, and now more.

I agree with Rob that simple fast forward (at any speed) is not 'fluid' -- it's very herky-jerky. And just try and pause a sports event, then hit the frame advance -- more like a 4 second advance for the next frame, and this 'jump' is very unpredictable. Obviously with MPEG encoding and GOP sequences, it may never be a true 'single frame' advance, but the performance of this feature now is just about unusable.

11. DanoP

DanoP Legend

Sep 28, 2006
    I'm glad it is just not me. 3.66 worked fine for me but this latest update makes the DVR playback herky jerky and imprecise. Don't fix what's not broke!

12. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Could we get a list of the tricks, maybe post them in one of the sticky thread topics kind of as a reference? I'm assuming that it's stuff that you can do that is NOT listed in the owner's manual? Something like... the yellow skip button advances the program guide 24 hours?

13. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Legend

May 8, 2006
    Inexplicably, our fast-forward jitters are gone, even though we're still on 4.03.

14. rictorg

rictorg AllStar

Feb 2, 2007
    I tell you, back in my TiVo days, I loved the fast forward and rewind buttons. I never even bothered with the thirty second skip. However, with the 622, I can't stand the fast forward and rewind buttons, and am now skipping around.

Thing is, I hate skipping on Network TV programs; I always jump too far, and then have to rewind... I'd rather fast forward through, perhaps see a new commercial fly past me, and on to my program. Oh well, this has to be the most minor complaint of my life. =)

15. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    Actually they are all documented in the manual. Now if they only worked perfectly as described.

16. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Example - to swap between the last two sorting methods in the recordings list, use the pip swap button.

I don't believe that is in the manual.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.