1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is wrong with the DISH I love?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by NoMoRumours, Feb 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoMoRumours

NoMoRumours Mentor

Jan 27, 2004
    I have a friend who, once out area got locals, wanted to switch frm DirecTV to DISH. So I call her Friday, the day the locals go live for us and tell her. She's excited. Today she calls me and says that she'll most likely stuck with her present setup because DISH will not give her the free installation because she doesn't have a credit card.

She asked if she could pay with check. She was told 'no problem. So she goes thru some questions and they ask for her checking account number and driver's license number. She refuses. She is then told that she can't get the free installation that it will cost 200 dollars.

I understand that DISH is trying to prevent fraud, but to treat everyone like they're a criminal is wrong. She explained to the CSR that she wasn't expecting the DISH stuff to be sent that day, that she assumed if she was paying by check that they'd wait for the check to clear first. Since they couldn't get an installer to her in less than two weeks, she had no problem waiting that long.

But apaprently DISH only wants new customers if they give away all their financial information. I tld her to go to Circuit City and try there, but she'll probably run into the same thing.

2. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    Your friend can get the Free For All plan. She would have to pay for the equipment up front but there is no commitment and she gets monthly bill credits to repay the equipment. You must give your social security number. If you do not want to, you must pay $49 nonrefundable charge and give the last 4 digits which are not 100% personally identifiable.

3. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    I see nothing wrong here. There is no diffrence in giving your checking and DL info over the phone ( to a CSR she called ) or giving your DL to a store clerk when you are paying by check at the counter. I will bet you if she goes to Circuit City or Sears and pays by check she will be asked for her DL and that number will be written on the check by the clerk or typed into the cash register as most stores are doing these days. Mountain out of a molehill IMO.

4. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Legend

Jun 28, 2002
    First of all, I didn't know Circus City sold DISH Network.

Second,on the new DHA plan the credit card requirement is to guarantee the equipment. If the customer cancels and doesn't return the equipment in good working order, DISH charges his credit card the cost of the equipment.

If there is no credit card on file, the customer must put up a $200 DEPOSIT. That is also to guarantee the equipment. If the customer cancels service and returns the equipment, they get the $200 back.

Your friend needs to get a Check Card from her bank, and all should be ok. If she doesn't want to go through the hassle of getting the card, she should pay the $200. If she doesn't want to give her checking account number and drivers license number, she can use Western Union (for a fee), or some other similar service.

See this excerpt from the DHA business rules:

5. NoMoRumours

NoMoRumours Mentor

Jan 27, 2004
    Well, the CSRs need to better explain things.

6. NoMoRumours

NoMoRumours Mentor

Jan 27, 2004
    Well I didn't mention that she was most likely going to have to do the same thing at a store. Why she has a 'fear' of giving her numberover the phone, when the same thing can happen at a store is beyond me. My point was that, after telling she had no creit card they didn't explain any more until it came to the end and they wanted the Check account number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.