1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of "deal" should I expect to upgrade to HD (non-DVR)?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by aktick, Dec 10, 2010.

1. aktick

aktick Legend

Sep 1, 2006
    We're getting my grandpa an HDTV for Christmas, and I'm wondering what I should be able to get a standard HD receiver for? He never uses DVR functions (which he has now), so he doesn't even want an HD DVR.

He's had DirecTV 3 years, auto bill pay, he's out of his original 2 year agreement, never called and gotten any discounts or credits.

I know for a while they seemed to be giving away regular HD receivers, wondering if we should expect that, or have they changed their tune and gotten much more stingy with giving away equipment?

Thanks.

2. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I would expect with some bargaining, he could get the box free, and pay a minimal amount for the dish change (which is likely to be needed).

3. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Go to their site and try to order one there, it might just say "free".

4. aktick

aktick Legend

Sep 1, 2006
    Thanks guys...which dishes are they putting up now? I think I have an older version Slimline or something like that, but I can get all the HD channels (that I know of or want, anyways)...if they're using something different, what are the advantages of those newer dishes?

His is on the roof, and it looked smaller than mine - I took a receiver of mine to test it out, and HD channels would just say "Searching for satellite signal", while SD duplicates showed up - is that pretty much a confirmation that his dish needs to be upgraded?

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The only dish available for HD today is the Slimline, which is larger than any of the older dishes. If you order the HD receiver and service from DirecTV, they will bring and install the correct dish. It must see three orbital slots, 99, 101 and 103 degrees.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Initiating an upgrade that will result in a 24 month commitment for someone else can be a dangerous proposition.

If your heart is set on doing this, I'd make up a coupon or special card in the event that:

1. An upgrade is not desired (he'll eventually cave on this)
    2. He's contemplating switching providers
    3. He doesn't want to be gifted with a 24 month commitment.

DIRECTV will demand a dish upgrade and a 24 month commitment as a condition of the "advanced equipment" lease. Further, if he doesn't get around to setting up the dish and activating the receiver within 30 days, they may make him pay a hefty financial penalty ($125?).

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It doesn't sound like it is safe to assume that the OP has authority over the account in question.

8. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Thanks.

9. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    The quote you get depends on who you talk to and when you call.

When I got a new HDTV in 2009 I decided to see what DirecTV had to offer even though I still had more than a year on my commitment. After a couple calls, I got a quote of $50 for an HD DVR, slimline dish, new multiswitch, and installation. But, of course, it would have reset my 2 year commitment. I declined at the time since most of the programming I watch is in SD anyway and my new HDTV didn't look that bad hooked up to my R22 via HDMI.

Since your relative is out of his commitment, I would first determine how satisfied he is with DirecTV. If he likes it and wants to stay, I'd call DirecTV and ask for the retention dept. Tell them an upgrade to HD is requested and options/prices are being evaluated (like a switch to cable or DISH Network). Remember, if your relative has never had DISH they have some unbelievable new customer offers as does DirecTV. In any event and no matter what you decide, I would INSIST on "free HD for life" which DirecTV does not like giving to existing customers.

10. shellyqt

shellyqt New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Your grandfather will most likely get a free HD receiver; when it's ordered, installation along with the upgraded dish is included. Just remember that HD is a flat rate of $10.00 month for the access. I am assuming his bills have been paid on time. That is the criteria; the fact that he's on or off contract won't have a bearing on it; it's the 3 year longevity along with his payment history.Just have him call DTV and ask for the ACE department.

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    As stated, you can generally get the HD receiver for free. If you order from DirecTV, they will automatically schedule the upgrade of the dish for you. While the upgrade is sometimes free, there can be a charge of $50 to $100 for the upgrade.

As for the additional cost, while HD service is $10 month extra, the fact that your grandfather uses AutoPay means that he should be able to get a $10 HD credit each month. The current promotion is for 24 months of free HD service, however, most people think the promotion will be extended or the HD fee will disappear by the end of the 24 months.

- Merg

12. BlueRidgePro

BlueRidgePro Cool Member

Nov 11, 2010
    If he's been there 3 years, his contract is done. Just switch to Dish & get HD, new equipment & big discounts.

Then after that 2-year contract runs out, switch back.

I find the neither Dish nor DTV will negotiate much with existing customers, but they offer all sorts of great deal for new customers.

I guess that they figure that once a customer is in, they'll stay (and pay) forever.

13. Mark20

Mark20 Godfather

Dec 24, 2006
    Just upgraded (ordered) one of my R15's to HD and their offer was simple; $99 for the HD-DVR plus S/H and tax, free install. I do get the $10 a month for HD access though. Better than the rack rate on the website which is what I was hoping for. Been with them for 4 years, autopay but no premium services though I did order the last month of MLB Extra Innings 2 years ago to catch the Met's last game at Shea Stadium.

14. aktick

aktick Legend

Sep 1, 2006
    Just to update, we did end up getting the HD receiver, new dish, and installation for free. Plus got the $10 off for 2 years for HD programming.

15. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Good deal, hope he enjoys it.