1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what kind of lmb is this?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by tlieberg, May 2, 2009.

1. tlieberg

tlieberg AllStar

Apr 16, 2008
    I was having a variety of troubles with my dish alignment and cabling and though I had got it back working myself (with help from folks here) I never got the dish peaked to my satisfaction so I had D* send a tech out. I ask him to simply align the dish. He goes further than that, diagnosing a few cable problems - at the dish and in my house. He does peak the dish - though the signal strengths aren't to my liking yet. But more interesting - he replaces the lmb - had the 5lmb setup, with three distinct heads (two off-center to the left) with a new single head lmb. I assume it's a 3 lmb setup and challenge him on what the impact will be - he claims the 5 lmb hardware causes a lot of problems and that any satellites that might be lost aren't needed unless I subscribe to international programming (and I don't.) When we go in the house to confirm all is working - he doesn't change the dish setup - leaves it at 5 lmb and sure enough it's getting signals on 109, 110, 119, 99 and 103. So obviously my previous understanding that you needed the 5 lmb setup to get all those satellites was wrong. Does this make sense to anyone?

Now at this point the signals are not what I want (indeed they're lower on the 99 and 103 conus satellites than I had self-adjusted them to be) and we discuss the mast being out of plumb and he volunteers to come back to fix that, perhaps by moving the dish. Since I'm up and running, I'm okay with that - his visit was at 6:30 on Friday and he doesn't have everything he needs to do the work. So we'll see how it goes when he returns.

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    If he did indeed install a 3LNB then you're just seeing ghost signal for 110/119.
    For instance you can install a 1LNB/101, set it to 3LNB and also get 'signal' for 110/119
    If you do have the 3LNB then change it in the satellite setup to avoid issues.

Ah and it's LNB: Low Noise Block converter

3. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Another typical tech myth based on absolutely nothing:nono2:

4. tlieberg

tlieberg AllStar

Apr 16, 2008
    Are ghost signals normally in the 90's? Are they typically similar to the 101 signals?

More importantly, what will I lose without 110 and 119? Are those truly only for International?

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Agreed. The SL5 LNB works just fine *as long as* you have Line-Of-Site to all of the sats.

Obviously, if you're having trouble getting 119, then the SL3 is the way to go, provided you don't need any content from 119.

6. tlieberg

tlieberg AllStar

Apr 16, 2008
    Again, how do I know what would be on 110 and 119 that I might be missing?

I'm confident I don't have any LOS issues for any of the satellites.

7. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
  8. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Yes, they are identical to real signals.

See above post

Same, but they are as posted Spanish and chinese which D* doesn't really consider 'international'. Those come from another satellite at 95 degrees