1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kinds of videos are you watching on your HR20/HR21??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by syphix, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 3, 2008 #1 of 31
    syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    I'm just curious...I don't have any/many videos on my desktop to stream to my HR20/HR21, so I'm wondering what you're all watching. Home videos? Downloads (if so, from where? Do iTunes videos, Amazon Unbox, Movielink movies work??) Video podcasts?

Just curious...

2. Mar 3, 2008 #2 of 31
    kitchj

kitchj Godfather

Aug 3, 2007
    I don't believe anything with DRM will work.

3. Mar 3, 2008 #3 of 31
    jmschnur

jmschnur Icon

Aug 30, 2006
    home videos made with my camcorder

4. Mar 3, 2008 #4 of 31
    Supervolcano

Supervolcano Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2007
    Adult movies downloaded from some very safe websites ;)
    They look better on my 26" HDTV than my 15" laptop screen.

5. Mar 3, 2008 #5 of 31
    bgullicksen

bgullicksen Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    Isn't that what we all are doing! :) ... and a few home movies of the family.

Bill

6. Mar 3, 2008 #6 of 31
    jahgreen

jahgreen Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    You found some in HD? :D

7. Mar 4, 2008 #7 of 31
    Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    What format are they in? Mine download to my PC as .avi but they have a red X next to them when I try to play them from my HR20.

8. Mar 4, 2008 #8 of 31
    houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    To OP: None.. same problem as Indiana627.. and not enough power in server for transcoding and I'm not going to reencode them...

9. Mar 4, 2008 #9 of 31
    m4p

m4p Legend

Apr 12, 2007
    Watched a downloaded episode of Bill Maher last night. Really worked well. Have watched a couple Youtube videos, thanks to help from some nice members here getting it to work. Quality of the Youtube videos wasn't so great but regular videos on my hard drive play nicely. I don't have a camcorder but do have a webcam. Maybe my cats would be willing to be test subjects :)

10. Supervolcano

Jan 23, 2007
    Ummm, Yes I have!! :D
    But I don't think the HR20 is capable of doing 1080i for mediashare. :(
    Or at least not yet anyways. :eek2:
    Or maybe my PC just isn't fast enough to transcode it, so TVersity is chopping it's bitrate? :confused:

All I know is it looks bigger on 26" than 15" :lol:

11. gregchak

gregchak Legend

Jan 8, 2007
    I have setup my home movies and have ripped a few DVD's just to test it out. My CPU isn't strong enough to transcode so the movies were just done to test. I can't wait for when/if they enable the HR2x to accept H.264. Then I'll make a move towards backing up my DVD collection. Until then, I'm mainly using it for home movies. I render movies at DVD quality and then my HR20 upconverts it nicely.

12. Supervolcano

Jan 23, 2007
    Sorry, MPEG2 is currently the only format the HR20 can accept.

To watch anything else right now, you'll need a media serving software (like TVersity) that can transcode (meaning reencode them "on the fly") your videos into a format the HR20 can accept ... Or reencode it yourself to MPEG2.

WMP11 isn't capable of transcoding videos.

13. bhelton71

bhelton71 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

Mar 7, 2007
    I did use Stage6 until it was shutdown

National Geo Video Shorts
    http://podcast.nationalgeographic.com/ng-video-shorts/

Cranky Geeks
    http://rssnewsapps.ziffdavis.com/audioblogs/crankygeeks/cg.h.264.xml

Occassional YouTube videos - they look pretty bad compared to the h264 feeds

And some Shoutcast TV streams (by way of VLC)
    http://www.sonic-lux.de/home/projekte/software/shoutcast_tv_lists/web/

And yes Supervolcano - they do have adult programming :D

Obviously some movies - kind of an on-demand setup. But I have been hesistant to commit on archiving the movies. I like the idea of a single interface for TV and all other media - but without shuttle controls and bookmarking its very hard to watch a full length movie. So if Hauppauge can bring a component capture device to market - I may go the other way - hang the HR20 off of a pc and let the pc be the 'entertainment hub'. Doesn't look that hard to control the HR20 from RS232-->USB.

14. trevorst

trevorst Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    You may want to checkout the forums for Sagetv, Beyondtv etc. They may have the info you need for control of the HR.

15. dbooth

dbooth Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    Everything from home videos, tv shows, movies everything I can i have about 500-600 GB of movies i can watch anything I want through tversity.

16. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    yeah this is too bad. Any info on when or if this will be addressed? I made some AVI files on my digital camera I would like to watch. Now I do it with my PS3.

The HR20 seems to be doing pictures better though. I still think it shoudl show subfolders seperately instead of everything in one area.

17. hakras

hakras New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    What does the GUI for playback look like? Could anyone post a pic of it?

18. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    It is the same playback as Media Share (the photos/music).

You select the video's from the similar menu structure, and then playback starts.

Depending on your media server, you may or may not have any trickplay control.

19. CrazyforYeshua

CrazyforYeshua Legend

Feb 23, 2008
    I have everything set up for networking on my HR20. I can play music, look at pics on it, and it looks good.
    I have been looking for the how-to on getting videos on it, I have some on my pc I wanna see if I can watch.
    I have TVersity downloaded,so where is the thread on how to get it to work? (If there is one).
    Thanks!

20. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I've only been able to play a video I made with my camera and even then, I had to recode it as mpeg-2 with a separate utility before it would play. Weird thing is it plays fine on the HR20's but not the HR21..... go figure.

The unconverted video plays fine on my PS3, which I'm going to use for media share in the future anyway, but I still test the HR2x with each update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.