1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What live sports will I see on the Regional HD Sports Channels?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by donshan, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 6, 2007 #1 of 26
    donshan

donshan Godfather

Jun 18, 2007
    I had already everything except Sports Pack so when I added it to my sub on the D* website I got automatically switched to Premier status with HD access etc. which is OK since I want to see as much of the new HD as possible.

I was just setting the DVR on my HR20 to record the Arizona State vs. Washington State game this Saturday and I noticed that the game is carried on several regional sports channels and this leads to general question of just how much live sports content I will be permitted to watch on these new HD channels and can I set them to record on the DVR with any confidence that they won't be blacked out?

I normally get Fox Sports NW on ch 651 and I am sure this ASU-WSU game will be on that channel which I always have received, but it will be in SD. However I see that the same game will be in HD on ch 640 CSNC-HD (Chicago), but I expect a blackout for me.

But that leads to this post about what live sports I will ever be able to see on these five new regional HD sports channels. Apparently Chicago is going to see this game in HD even though neither team is from that region. Does that mean that I too will occasionally see some live "out of region live games" on these new HD Regional channels since Chicago is allowed to see this one? . If so just what sports are allowed that don't get blacked out by the rules of the extra price sports packages or some other obscure rule? Are there any live sports left for me on these five HD channels?

I had the Sports Pack many years ago and dropped it as there was never any live sports broadcast except that which was on my regional FSNW and I didn't have much interest in talk shows and reruns on the other regionals that I was allowed to see. Is that still true?I need to understand how to set the DVR, since I don't want to come back and find just the message " program not available in your area" for 3 hours on the DVR:mad:

Any advice from those experienced with Sports Pack about what HD live games I will be able to see and record would be appreciated! I hope to be surprised by what I will get :)

2. Oct 6, 2007 #2 of 26
    duck33

duck33 Legend

Aug 28, 2007
    Unless you order NHL Center Ice, MLB or College BB or Football, you probably won't be able to view any games live.

3. Oct 6, 2007 #3 of 26
    FavreJL04

FavreJL04 Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    I was able to view almost every college football game on the RSNs last year with only the sportspack.

4. Oct 6, 2007 #4 of 26
    morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    This question always seems to get these types of responses. I still don't know the scoop on this one myself...very difficult to determine if the sports pack is worth the extra few bucks or not.

Anyone else with sports pack that can shed some light?

5. Oct 6, 2007 #5 of 26
    donshan

donshan Godfather

Jun 18, 2007
    That is what I was hoping for. I grew up in Texas so follow college games there and my grand daughter is now at Arizona State so I have an interest there. Even an occasional football game from those areas would be nice.

Also I have the MLB Superfan package each year and decided it was more likely that I will maximize the MLB package baseball channels available in HD with Sportspack added too.

6. Oct 6, 2007 #6 of 26
    donshan

donshan Godfather

Jun 18, 2007
    I agree , which is why I started this thread . 2008 will be a test year coming up to find out how D* applies the blackout rules for HD channels, so I am testing D* to see if adding $7 a month for Sports pack gets me any more games in HD or not in 2008. The answer may be that the money is better spent just on the extra cost packages like MLB or ESPN college football and skip the Sports Pak. However it also could be that having both packages gets more MLB games or ESPN college games in HD just like SuperFan is needed to get Sunday Ticket games in HD. The D* pattern seem to be they want some extra fees to get full HD access and you get just SD access without the extra fee.

Since adding this D10/D11 HD system cost a huge amount I don't object to some extra HD fees to pay for it. I just want a better understanding on how best to arrange the subscriptions.

7. Oct 6, 2007 #7 of 26
    fvmojoman

fvmojoman Cool Member

Nov 2, 2006
    For the past 5 years in Nashville I've been able to select any RSN and get college football. Today, I'm expecting to be able to turn to channel 640 (Comcast Chicago) to get the K State/Kansas game in HD. I would hope that it would remain the same as it has the past 5 or so years, but this time tuning in to the HD feed of the channel. Guess we'll see at 11:00am!

8. Oct 6, 2007 #8 of 26
    JMartinko

JMartinko Legend

Dec 16, 2006
    The only college FB blackout I have seen this year was for a couple of games that were availble on one of my local RSNs (Altitude Sports). The game was in the clear on Altitude but blacked out on a couple of other RSN's. HD was not involved in either case. In general I think you will see nearly all college FB games. I know the late night FSNAZ (or FSNSW whichever it was, I don't remember for sure) games, which have shown Arizona State games often, have all been in the clear for me here in Colorado with the sports package.

9. Oct 6, 2007 #9 of 26
    2Guysfootball

2Guysfootball Godfather

Jul 2, 2007
    I know last year was great with the sports pack I am looking forward to my rare Saturday afternoon with some CFB-HD:D

10. mark2061

mark2061 Cool Member

May 22, 2007
    Kansas vs Kansa St game in HD on CSNCHD here in upstate NY. AZ ST vs Wash St up next at 4:00pm eastern.

11. fvmojoman

fvmojoman Cool Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Yep, even though my regional (Fox Sports South) is not yet in HD, it is nice finally being able to watch Fox sportsnet games in HD!

12. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Well, after ten+ years with DIRECTV I finally ordered the sports pack and get rewarded with watching my local college team (WVU vs. SYR) that is not available anywhere else other than ESPN Gameplan.

Lots of college football on the sports pack! Can't wait for more RSN HD to roll out.

How did I miss this for the last decade???

13. donshan

donshan Godfather

Jun 18, 2007
    Thanks. The Kansas Vs Kansas St game is also now on in HD here in Washington too on ch 640. The blackout ( if any ) for me will be for the for the ASU-WSU game next. Please post again if you get it OK and I will post blackout status here. I understand the reason for these blackouts. A lot of advertising dollars are spent to reach the Washington State audience for the WSU game, and those ads will probably be different on our regional FSNW on ch 651 than the ads on CSNC-HD ch 640. This will get solved eventually for us when FSNW-HD gets its D* channel in the HD roll out.

I am pleased to be getting something live on CSNC-HD ch 640, as it is a good sign for the year ahead, which says Sports pack for me is not a waste. I find a lot of these long standing college rivalries around the country are often more exciting, enthusiastic football to watch than many of the NFL games. :)

14. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    No Pro games except on your local FSNs. Some college and high school games but not very many. On a Saturday most of them will be showing the same game.

15. donshan

donshan Godfather

Jun 18, 2007
    Happy here with the ASU-WSU game in great PQ HD on Ch 640! Got to go now!:D

16. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    ASU/WSU game is on the ch. 96 spotbeam in HD in the Seattle area.

17. eddieras

eddieras Godfather

Aug 30, 2007
    i watch a lot of college hockey on the rsn's

18. mellow1442

mellow1442 Cool Member

Dec 17, 2006
    If all you have is the sports pack, then you will get live college sports, international soccer, and fly-fishing programs. Professional games are based on zip code and your rsn.

19. gizzorge

gizzorge Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    Wow. I am glad I read this thread. I was looking into getting the sports pack to hopefully get some out-of-town pro games. Glad I didn't get it! :lol:

20. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    FSN games were on channel 96 Cleveland HD spotbeam as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.