1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What manufacturer makes Directv receivers?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by schlar01, Jun 11, 2010.

1. schlar01

schlar01 Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    Is it Directv or another company? I ask because I just bought a new Sony receiver and they have no Directv remote codes. They have Dish but not Directv. I contacted their support and they said they have nothing for Directv, for some idiotic reason, but I was hoping the receiver might be made by one of the other manufacturers in their manual.

Pretty much a long-shot at this point but I thought I'd ask because someone here will likely know.

Thanks.

If nothing else, I guess I'll be looking at a Harmony remote.

2. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    While there are several hardware manufacturers, they all use DIRECTV codes. I'm amazed Sony didn't include DIRECTV codes in the remotes. Very, very unexpected.

Cheers,
    Tom

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Wow.

4. schlar01

schlar01 Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    Its crazy. This is the brand new just off the assembly line STR-DN1010 that was just released and even supports 3D. The satellite tuner page lists a ton of brands that I don't know if they even ship anymore

SONY
    AMSTRAD
    BSKYB
    GE
    GRUNDIG
    HUMAX
    THOMSON
    PACE
    PANASONIC
    PHILIPS
    NOKIA
    RCA/PROSCAN
    BITA/HITACHI
    HUGHES
    JVC/ECHOSTAR/DISH
    MITSUBISHI
    SAMSUNG
    TOSHIBA

I tried Hughes, I believe that is what they used to be, but no go. Tried the first code of everything through Nokia so far. Barf.

I'll probably have to get a universal. Its a fairly nice remote, too. How in the heck can a major manufacturer omit this?

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Most people I know use the D* remote to control their audio receivers, as the D* remote is much more suited to control the DirecTV equipment than the audio equipment maunfacturers remotes.

6. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    More importantly is who makes DirecTV remotes. That would be UEI, maker of one-for-all, xsight, nevo, some radio shack, RCA, insignia, vizio, sanyo, sling box and OEM for many, many cable systems, and of course DirecTV. All those remotes use SAT code 1377 or 01377 for most DirecTV receivers.

Search THIS site for DirecTV codes and you'll get a detailed list of 14 current UEI models with the code. They can be loaded into most of the hundreds of UEI remote models via a programming cable as well. One of my favorite UEI remotes at the moment is the RCA RCRP05B which is $15 at walgreens and $20 most everywhere else. The beauty of UEI remotes is that you can individually add new commands (like discretes) by just entering codes from the keypad (no other maker has this capability). You can add anything under the sun, even your own protocols, with a programming cable.

I believe some URC remotes also have DirecTV codes. And even though harmony has the codes, some commands are missing, like the long press commands including slo-mo, skip to tick and skip to start/end. They can be added using pronto hex.

7. schlar01

schlar01 Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    I tried to have the Directv remote control my last receiver and could only get it to control the TV volume, not the receiver.

The 'satellite tuner' section of the doc appears to be for satellite radio, but the only other thing close is 'cable box' which also doesn't have Directv.

So pretty much no luck. Thanks guys.

8. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I find it hard to believe the DirecTV remote can't control a sony receiver. Did you set volume lock to AV1 (or whatever you have the sony on)? To do that, see the volume lock instructions HERE. Otherwise, will none of the remotes I posted work for you? Even sony makes some nice learning remotes that will work just fine with DirecTV. You just have to teach it.

9. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    After you program the receiver, you need to enter code 993>Select to tell the remote to use the receiver as the volume control. Just follow the instructions on-screen.

10. schlar01

schlar01 Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    Thanks. I tried this and it can control the receiver on AV1 but for some reason the volume doesn't work. I had it working for a bit but now it doesn't. I'll have to play around with it.

11. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca

The only oem remotes included with ANY type of gear to have a preprogrammed code for the current directv codeset are only made by UEI, as mdavej said if were made by UEI the code would be either 1377 or 01377. I don't know if its Directv or UEI, but they aren't allowing it out to other oem remote manufacturers, aftermarket universal remote makers, yes.

12. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Close the thread, Edmund has spoken. There is no more information to add. :lol:

13. sungam

sungam Legend

May 10, 2007
    I have a follow-on question however... What prevents OEM manufacturers from simply figuring out the coding for themselves and including it in their remotes? Copyright? Patent? Lack of interest?

14. johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ
    Strange indeed. I purchased 2 Sony HDTV receivers in the past year and a half and had no problem programming them in.

15. sungam

sungam Legend

May 10, 2007
    Are you saying you were able to program the Sony remotes to control the DirecTV receiver, or program the DirecTV remote to control the Sony TVs?

16. john18

john18 DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 21, 2006
    FWIW, I love my Harmony One remote.

17. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    And I my Harmony 700 and 880.

18. johnp37

johnp37 Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Central NJ
    Programmed Directv remote to control the Sony TV in the kitchen. Programmed my Harmony One to control my L/R Sony/ Home Theater setup. Piece of cake.