1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What? No "Royal Wedding" Thread?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Apr 29, 2011.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It was one of the biggest productions ever. But we didn't have a thread on it. Such a surprise given the interests of our members.

If you can stand a commercial, here is Royal Wedding in 60 Seconds which I thought was the perfect amount of coverage. :D

2. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I would have watched the 60 second clip, but that's really 60 seconds more than I care to spend thinking about the wedding. :)

3. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I was hoping there would be at least one board on the web with the integrity to avoid this farce.

4. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    When I think os all the money and bandwidth wasted on this today....:(

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm of mixed feelings about the money.

On the one hand, it seems expensive and wasteful...

On the other hand, it employed a LOT of people who had contracts to do various things for the wedding.

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I waited until after the fact to memorialize this outstanding historical event :rolleyes:, and only then because of the 60 second video.;)

7. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Is there no where on Earth left to go to escape that over-indulgent, narcissistic mutual-masturbatory excess called a royal PIA wedding? People have died this week and all the news that's unfit to report has totally dominated the so-called news networks.

Thanks a pant load, Phrelin, you could have passed on this one. I have no further comment! :nono2:

8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Did something important happen today?

9. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I watched the nuptials and the procession to the Palace this morning while at the airport waiting for my flight.

I think it's the first televised wedding I've watched since Luke and Laura.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Hey, I wish the young people well. It's a lot to live up to, being part of a 1200-year-long list of famous people and rulers.

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I have escaped it for the most part... It's pretty easy to avoid if you want and are uninterested.

I find the royal wedding stuff to be equally overblown as is most of Hollywood celebrity stuff... They equate as similar wastes of news time to me..

12. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    The little one got Mrs. Fluffybear and I up at 4:30 this morning and I had hard time falling back sleep so I turned on the wedding. Was out in 10 minutes & slept until 9..

13. AttiTech

AttiTech Godfather

Feb 21, 2011
    Thought I would throw this in here, our President and First Lady were not invited to this event :p

14. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    It was explained that since William is not the direct descendant (he is 2nd in line) to the throne that this wedding was not an official state sponsored event and as such foreign leaders were not invited.

15. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    wedding? I never got an invite? anyone I know?

16. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Since I had to be up, and basically "sequestered" in our Ops center, we turned it on just for the diversion.
    The wedding aside, I was totally amazed at the production. The cameras, their placement, the audio and the fades/rolls/wipes/panning/cuts et al appeared as if this had spent weeks in post-production and not a live event. Oh, there WAS this one hat........

17. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Agreed. I got up Friday AM and turned on the TV to get an update on the storms that went through Alabama and other southern states. I thought that the news of over 300 Americans dying the day before would be the lead-story on the networks. Nope. Nothing but the wedding.

18. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Dan Rather wrote a great piece about the topic of the media coverage:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dan-r...ml?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl5|sec3_lnk2|59416

19. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    CBS should really be embarrassed. Their big dollar super anchor journalist was in London instead of Tuscaloosa.

Maybe they figured she didn't matter anymore since she's leaving soon.

20. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Can you imagine the outrage if this was all paid for by the US gov't? Where was the outrage in GB?