1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What other channels are moving?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by camattin, Jan 24, 2012.

1. camattin

camattin AllStar

Feb 6, 2003
    Just got the email that they are moving Sprout from Xtra (or Xtra classic as it will be called, right?) to Ultimate. This doesn't really bother me (neither of my children watch Sprout often, if at all).

What does bother me is their wording in the email:
    Umm, but you just raised by bill AND you're removing a channel from my package. That's a double-whammy and a bad PR move in my book. When you say reasonable prices are you talking about the lower price I pay now that includes this channel or the higher price I'll pay next month for fewer channels?

2. strangely

strangely New Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Ironically this was pretty much the only channel we had on our package that was stopping me from reducing my bill to a lower package; since it'll be going, there's nothing stopping me moving now, and they'll be getting less of my money!

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Cloo is the other one I know about.

4. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    Sprout is one of the reasons we are on Choice Extra too. Looks like a downgrade to Family will get it back and save me a bunch of money too.

5. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Cloo will be moving to Ultimate as well.

DirecTV has stated that their programming costs are increasing by 10%, but they are only raising rates by 4%. Apparently, this is part of their effort to control part of the other 6%...

~Alan

6. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    From D*s point of view, one way to attempt to keep costs to at least a reasonable level, is to remove channels that attract very little traffic. They have stated publicly that they intend to do this going forward.

It's amusing to me that when there was a real risk of the FOX channels going dark for a few weeks a while back, many posters were shouting for D* to just pay up and do the deal.

There's a price for doing the deal...and we pay it. :)

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    How do you come up with 6%? That only works if programming is 100% of their costs.

8. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I said their programming costs... not all of their costs.

I'm not trying to imply that they would make up all of it by moving some channels, but rather to imply that it could make a dent in it.

~Alan

9. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Fortunately for me, both of the channels they've indicated are moving to Ultimate are of exactly zero interest to me.

But this is just the new economy we've already seen at the grocery store. Pay more, get less! :(

I'm under contract, so I won't be going anywhere for awhile, but I do feel free to grumble a bit! :) I wonder what the lowest package I can get and still fulfill the contract requirements and not lose HD for Life. Anyone know?

10. camattin

camattin AllStar

Feb 6, 2003
    I'm also under contract and won't be going anywhere (or changing my package), was just making the observation. Only 7 more months left in my contract, though, so we'll see what happens then. ;-)

11. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    We are what? 2 1/2 weeks away from these changes? When are we going to see a channel listing of the new packages?

12. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Cloo and Sprout are moving up from XTRA, soon to be XTRA Classic. Those are the only two channel changes other than Fox Deportes coming out of Sports Pack which was announced earlier.

Conversely, some channels are moving "down", too, like National Geographic Channel which was in XTRA and will be available in CHOICE starting in February. Channels move up and down in base packages often as a result of new contractual agreements (National Geographic is owned by FOX), or based on viewership, cost containment (which translates into trying to hold the line on rate increases), etc.

13. Satelliteracer

Dec 6, 2006
    They will be announced very soon. As with any introduction of new packages, sometimes the last channel(s) have to be finalized and that sometimes occurs at the 11th hour for a number of reasons.

14. DViper2399

DViper2399 AllStar

Jul 16, 2008
    Any new HD coming with these changes?

15. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    Talking to Directv said the entertainment pack will not have any sports.
    Similar to cox who has announced a package without ESPN channels to lower cost.

16. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    This will have ESPN & ESPN2.

There has to more differences than just the omission of RSNs...

~Alan

17. JimV

JimV Legend

Feb 3, 2007
    well, I immediately sent them a note voicing my disdain for this change. Anyone with a 2-4 year old relies on Sprout since it has good shorts and a lot of variety which kids need at this age.

Very disappointing given how many other channels I'd love to see leave my programming package instead.

Oddly they added BabyFirstTV which typically has much much lower quality programming from Sprout. So if they are looking to save money, this was an odd reason to add a channel.

Dump OWN if you want to save money.

Hopefully enough people will voice their unhappiness and maybe they'll change their tune.

Normally I am happy with D* but this was one thing that is a reversal.

Im on total choice plus anyway.

18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'm still not following where you got your 6% from?

19. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    10 - 4 = 6

Admittedly, I'm horrible at math, and today's been a hectic day, but I still believe that to be correct. :confused:

~Alan

20. Satelliteracer

Dec 6, 2006
    More HD is coming