1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What percent of NEW HR20s don't have problems?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tkrandall, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Anyone have inside info on the failure rate of the HR20s in terms of how many new out-of-the-box units end up being returned in the first few months due to trouble?

I can't help but wonder as my experience was that my brand new -100 had a bad tuner, and the first 2 of the refurbished -700s they sent me also had problems of thier own.

By the way, I emailed DTV last week asking if they could send another new unit, as my original unit was bad out of the box, and I was told they "can't" send new units unless there are no refurbished units available to ship. (it's always interesting when people use the word "can't" when they really mean "choose not to".)

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I don't have specific information, but I'm guessing that a very high percentage (>95%) have no problems during the first few months.

3. LR308er

LR308er Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Jun 27, 2007
    I'd put my money on no more than 70% are trouble-free.

4. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    100% of my HR 20s are trouble free :)

(One upgrade 3 months ago)

5. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    The answer to the OP's actual question is a simple "NO".

Or...if they have it they are not releasing it (nor would I).

Anything else you see here is anecdotal, leading to pointless speculation, which we already have too much of.:)

You could always do YAP (yet another poll) asking how many have or haven't had "terminal" failures of their HR20s. By terminal, I mean requiring replacement. That, of course will be confounded by those who got their HR20s replaced because they misinterpreted what was wrong (mistaking a software problem for a hardware problem).

Come to think of it, I think someone already did a poll like that.

I've had two, neither of which had any "terminal" problems (one for 10 months and the most recent for two). I wouldn't make much of my "data" point....or anyone else's. I doubt it reflects the "real" numbers which we are very unlikely to see.

6. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005

Just add a bit to what Hasan mentioned above. I was used too my two Panasonics only one model year apart.

I get a new Samsung 32" LCD mainly for testing the H21 (that's what i tell myself anyway), and having a new set by a different maufacturer changed my experience quite a bit as far as how the two devices interacted w/ one another.

I failed to recognize that the first couple of days after mating the H21 too the new LCD. Suddenly, I had a whole new set of characteristic and personality changes. Not that it turned out to be a bad thing by any means, just sayin.....

So one box may appear to be fine w/ one set, but have a 2nd box on a different set may really frustrate the "average" user who has no desire to play around with these things and think the box is bad.

Just my .02

7. mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    11.34% failure rate.

8. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    How did you come up w/ that number?

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As the new units come from installers, I wouldn't be at all surprised that they wouldn't have access to new models.

I think it is folly to assume that a new machine is less likely to have problems.

10. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    There's certainly no guarantee that a new machine will be problem free...

I've shared this example before, but I worked at place that had some high end Xerox equipment... which worked flawlessly for years - until suddenly one particular part started failing with regularity... It turned out that xerox in their design spec'd a specific bearing to be used in this part.. The original manufacturer actually used a beefier bearing because it was cheaper/more readily available to them... When Xerox added a second manufacturer who started producting parts with the "approved" bearing, they started failing all over the place...

Sometimes something gets messed up in the production process and you get a rash of failures... Whether it be shoddy workmanship or just bad luck...

As to the OPs original question... I don't see D* ever releasing a number (unless it's like .10% failure rate or some miniscule number like that!)... Anecdotally (which is all we have to go by, even if it is a complete stab in the dark)... Based on the number of complaints in these forums NOW compared to 10 months ago... I'd guess the % without problems is in the 90's somewhere...

11. mbresee

mbresee New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Well I had a HR-20 (100s) for 2 weeks. After that update last week, it never started up again. It would always get hung on the white screen with the directv logo and displayed step 1 of 2: checking satellite signal, almost done.

Requested a replacement on Wednesday, they said I would have it on Saturday. It never showed up, so I called. Turned out the order was cancelled. Placed another order on Saturday. Called back Sunday just to make sure everything was ok and that order was cancelled too! Needless to say I was a bit ticked. :mad:

Placed the 3rd order and have been checking on and off today. The order is still processing. I don't really care if they send me a refurbished or new one, just get me something that works. :)

12. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    There is the logic that a refurbed machine (if truly a refurb and not just a return) is tested more thoroughly.

13. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I have no idea what the defective rate of the HR-20 is...but a 5% defective rate for a consumer item like this is considered high.

14. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    By whom? Is there some standards group that established that rate? Or a consumer advocate magazine? Just curious where you get that rate from ...

15. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Sorry, should have explained better. When you start getting over 5% retailers start to scream, squeal and start asking for concessions.

16. VAman

VAman AllStar

Jul 9, 2007
    I think a forum such as this may be the WORST place to estimate a failure rate. If a person has a DirecTV system installed and it works properly, it's not very likely they'll ever show up here. I think that many of us that found this forum, did so because we were having some sort of problem, or were just technically curious.

17. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    +1

(which is why I called the reports here idiosyncratic...and pointless)...not the reports themselves, but any attempt to compile a representative failure rate from this/these forums is an exercise in futility.

The population the sampling is being done from is so non-random as to make any results meaningless if applied to the entire consumer base of HR20 users.

For other purposes, this population is fine...but not to extrapolate to the larger consumer base....that's plain silly.

18. rickwhit4d

rickwhit4d Cool Member

Jul 22, 2007
    I, too, had a problem with my HR20-100...same as yours..it worked fine for 2 weeks. I then had occasion to move it to another shelf on my entertainment center......I didn't drop or bump it in any way. Just unplugged the unit, set it on the lower shelf, plugged it in and tuner #1 was out of comission(sp?)....it no longer worked. A new (refurbished?) unit is due to be delivered today. I hope to get more than 2 weeks out of this one.

19. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Part of the reason I originally asked the question is because it occurred to me that if you are "lucky", your newly installed unit works fine. If not, then you are thrown into a system of DTV sending you refurbished units - ones that have had some sort of previous problem that may or may not have been successfully remedied. You will not likely see a new one again. Given that the first 2 refurbished units they sent me last week had obvious deficiencies (how do they miss crackling audio and missing audio?), I am not so confident that these refurbished units get much of a work over and thorough testing before they are sent out again.

So maybe what I should have asked is what is the failure rate (return rate) of new units verus the rate for refurbished units? (I realize such data is likely not to be had anywhere)

20. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Only D* knows and they're not saying.
    At least you know there is no publicly available answer to your question.

FWIW, I have 2 HR20's. One I got at BestBuy back in November, one I got from D* that was delivered by the installer who upgraded my dish. Both worked just fine out of the box and have been going strong ever since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.