1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What percentage of you are getting HR24 shipped from D*?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jasonblair, Aug 21, 2010.

1. jasonblair

jasonblair Icon

Sep 5, 2006
    My HR23 has been getting slower and slower with the new software updates. My girlfriend is getting ready to move down here to DC from Boston, where she's had FiOS the past few years. I've been bragging about how much better my DirecTV service is. (The FiOS DVR hard drive is INSANELY small!)

Since the HR23 has been so sluggish as of late, and since I want to impress her, I've been looking into an HR24. I can get one from Solid Signal for $199, but DirecTV will send me an HD DVR for $99.

I know DirecTV will not guarantee any specific model, but for $100 difference, does anyone know what percentage of people as of late have been getting HR24s as opposed to HR20/1/2/3s? If, for example, 75% of the people have been getting HR24s, it might be worth the risk of ordering one from DirecTV. But if 25% of the people have been getting HR24s, it's not worth it.

Thanks!

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    There are so many factors that go into play:

- The area you are in, which determins which distribution center you get it from
    - If you have MRV, or are upgarding to MRV
    - The current supply is tight, so any percentages calculated on anything older then the last 2 weeks....

If you really must have an HR24, then I would drop the extra $100 and go with Solid Signal to have no risk

3. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    Amazon sells the HR24 for $180, including shipping.

4. cmcjo

cmcjo Cool Member

Jul 11, 2006
    I just had my install done on Thursday and setup for MRV with 2 receivers. They brought me a 23 model not 24. I live in NJ

5. Mr. Big

Mr. Big Mentor

Nov 5, 2007
    It'll probably take more than an HR24 to impress your girlfriend.:lol:

6. kayur

kayur New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I just got my MRV install last Tues. in Dallas. Got two HR-24's for free. One was due to the CSR giving me a full credit when I ordered a new one as part of the MRV install to replace an H20. The tech gave me a second one for free to replace an existing HR20-700 because it wasn't recognizing MRV.

7. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut

Just a note, while it is thru Amazon, it is actually coming from 6th Ave Electronics. I have one on order, hopefully being shipped today.

This is what aggravates me the most about Directv removing the receivers from retail. Getting one from Directv is a crapshoot. :nono2: It shouldn't be that way. At least with retail you could see what you are getting. Luckily there are places like SolidSignal and Amazon where you can still get a specific model.

In all honesty, knowing how completely fed up I am with my HR20-100 and it's pathetic slowness, especially when acknowledging number presses(I dunno how many times I press 265 and it slowly goes 2.... 6... "channel not available"... 5 and changes to channel 5 :mad: ), I hope the HR24 is as fast as people say. If so, Directv should be thinking of getting the HR24 out to the masses as quickly as possible.

8. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Hey, baby, check out my larger hard drive. :glasses:

9. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    The HDD might be bigger, but overall size of the unit is smaller. :lol:

10. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    62%

11. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    ±3dB

12. SPG900NY

SPG900NY AllStar

Aug 13, 2010
    Just had my install done Friday - 1 HD DVR + three HD boxes. I requested in my order notes that I'd like the HR-24s and to reschedule my appt if they were not available.

They were available and all boxes installed were HR-24's.

13. j0hnnyv

j0hnnyv Mentor

Oct 27, 2008
    im in atlantic city area of NJ and got HR24 and 2 H24s about 3 weeks ago when I got my install done. the installer said our whole area has had nothing but the new boxes and they are nice as advertised!! my parents house had the HR21...huge upgrade :D

14. jasonblair

jasonblair Icon

Sep 5, 2006
    As far as the "size" comments, I've got no problem there... Otherwise why would she be moving in? ;-)

We're talking about a girl who knows the difference between 720p and 1080p, owns her own Xbox360 and Wii, had FiOS at her old place (prior to the move in with me), and even boots multiple operating systems on her laptop... Not your normal everyday chick! :)

15. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Jason, good luck. She sounds like a keeper. Amazon may be the best way to go and then ask DirecTV to refund you the difference when you activate. It never hurts to ask.

16. finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    My HR20 took a dump and when tech came out he gave me HR24-100 and installed SWM with antenna.

17. uteotw

uteotw Legend

Sep 30, 2006
    D* is driving me mad on this issue. I want to replace an SD-DVR with an HD-DVR. (I do not want MRV, just no interest.) All they will say is $149 and that I could get anything from an HR20-24, no way to know, no way to request, just roll the dice.

I have had SO many problems with my HR20, too many to list, and I won't pay for another one of those. Can anyone offer any suggestions? I have been w/D* for nine years but no way on earth I'd pay $149 for another HR20.

Thanks~

18. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    solidsignal.com or amazon.com, get an HR24.

19. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Is that a blue ring or are you just happy to see me....

20. Richard Chalk

Richard Chalk Legend

Jan 4, 2004
    As long as she isn't mounting multiple hard drives on her lap......