1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What services should I get and what do I need for connections?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Moosestache, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Moosestache

Moosestache AllStar

Dec 7, 2009
    I have decided to finally ditch Time Warner and go with Direct Tv, but I have hit a complete information overload as to what I need to do, as well as what I services I should get.

I currently have 3 hd boxes and 2 of them are hd dvr's, one is just HD, no dvr. Finally I will have one or two old tv's hooked up for the kids rooms.

All that being said, I want to do this right, and try to buy the equipment that I need the first time. I have single coax outputs in each room where the tv's will be, along with cat 5 outlets in each room, even though some of them are on the other side of the room. They are all home run to the basement.

So I guess my questions are,
    1. Do I have all the cabling I need?
    2. Should I go with MVR, it seems like I should want it.
    3. What equipment should I be asking for?
    4. Which boxes, if any, should I get for the kids rooms on the old non/hd tv's?
    5. What do I need for video on demand?

Thanks for any help, sorry I'm such a noob.

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    #1 - Basically you don't need to do anything, DirecTV will run the coax where it's needed. They would charge extra if they need to do any wall fishing.
    #2 - Yes, go with MRV, that will improve your odds of getting HR24 HD DVR's and will save the expense of doing the upgrade later.
    #3 - You can ask for the HR24 HD DVR and H24 HD receivers but it's pot luck what you'll get. If you really want the HR24's you can ask the installer if he has them when he calls to let you know he's on the way and if not cancel that install until they have them.
    #4 - I say go with the HD boxes if you can afford the extra initial expense. That way they can view recordings on the HD DBR.s
    #5 - When you order MRV (aka Connected Home/Whole Home DVR) tell them you want the Internet Connection Kit (ICK), it's $25 extra and will interconnect their coax based network to your ethernet network.

Hope that helps.

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Also forgot to mention, if you know someone with DirecTV get a referral from the, you'll both get a $10/month rebate for 10 months ($100). If you do though just make sure you follow the instructions for doing that to the letter else they'll reject the rebate claim.

4. Moosestache

Moosestache AllStar

Dec 7, 2009
    Thanks that helps a lot. The shared MVR only works on the HD boxes I guess. This is probably the wrong sub forum to ask in, but I am thinking about getting the new special offer they have out that includes the premier package along with both the NFL Sunday Ticket and the NFL to go. Basically, I pay $59.99 plus the extras for six months and that is all. After the 6 months is up it goes to the regular price. I wondered if I had to keep paying for the Premier Package after the 6 months was up, or if I could cut back to a cheaper package then?

Thanks

5. Moosestache

Moosestache AllStar

Dec 7, 2009
    I almost signed up for DTV 6 months ago and I tried the refer a friend program, but they told me I couldn't double dip on promotions, I'm not sure if that still applies or not?

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    AFAIK you can cut back, but right now the "Free HD for Life" is only good as long as you keep the Premier package, that saves $10/month.

And yes, MRV only works on the HD boxes. FYI, there's also DirecTV2PC where you can put a free client on a Windows PC (has some fairly high processing/graphics requirements) and you can watch recordings from a HD DVR.

7. Moosestache

Moosestache AllStar

Dec 7, 2009
    DirecTV2PC, this is just a program to download and is free, right?

8. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
  9. Moosestache

Moosestache AllStar

Dec 7, 2009
    Is it best to order right on the direct tv website, call in, or try to order it locally, any thoughts?

10. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    If you want to try the referral again (doesn't hurt to try, I've seen them say it's supposed to be ontop of any other offers) you need to call. If you want to greatly improve your odds of getting HR24/H24's then calling a local installer is the best way.