1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should Dish do with Eldon now??

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jsanders, May 16, 2005.

What should Dish do with Eldon??

1. Give them a new receiver to design for us!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Just keep a couple engineers on the payroll for 921 maintenance.

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Give the engineers new jobs in other teams!

23 vote(s)
    74.2%
  4. Fire the whole group! Tell them getting fired originally meant home arson!

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    We all know the 921/Eldon fiasco that caused E* and its customers so much pain.

In addition, we've seen the 942 released by a different team without the same "growing pains" the 921 had. They both have the same executive management, so it tells me the problem was more Eldon and its lower level management than anything.

The question is, what should the future relationship with Eldon be?

What do you think?

I would love to post this one in the 921 forum, however, I think the half-life there would be rather short. :rolleyes:

2. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    Have them pay back all the money they got for the 921.

Take all their names, and make sure they don't show up working on E* receivers ever again.

3. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Quite frankly, I think the 721/921 interface and look and feel is about the best of all the receivers. Some of the 322/522/625/942 enhancements are nice, but still not as clean as the 721/921. While I don't have the 921, I must say that I have overall been very pleased with my 721 over the last year. I don't know that I would lay all the blame at Eldon's feet. The executive team may have just been able to do it right this time, as well as knew they had to get it right this time.

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    IMHO, E* receivers have a better feature set then D* boxes, it's just that they can't get the bloody things to work worth a damn. It doesn't no good to have a DVR that records your shows and then wipes them out before you can view them. The D* boxes don't have PIP windows, caller ID, UHF remotes but you know you tell it to record a problem and it stays there until you delete it (and you don't have to reboot all the time). Now if they could just find some designers/coders to turn the ideas into a stable product they might have kept me as a customer.

5. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    You guys are aware, aren't you, that Eldon did one of the versions of the 301, which arguably was one of the most problem-free receivers Dish ever put out?

6. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    Not exactly the most complex receiver Dish ever put out, either:

Single tuner.
    No OTA.
    No DVR.
    No HD.

Orders of magnitude less complexity than the 921.

7. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    What's their excuse for the 921?

8. boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    jsanders, I hope that you will consider doing another poll respective to Eldon after L214 is released. Now if L214 really does fix the problems then I think that redemption is in order. If it doesn't help, well, um, ah,,,, I'll keep my thought to myself for now.

9. Paradox-sj

Paradox-sj AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 15, 2004
    I've seen entire devlopements teams sacked for far less...

10. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    In America, we say "fired". (Or, in San Jose, as you know, it's "riffed".)

But, yeah, in Eldon, I guess they would be sacked.

11. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Sell the whole damn company to the competition . I am sure Rupert is looking for someone to write his software for his new inhouse Directv dvr receivers. He could get them for a song.:lol:

12. garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    Unfortunately, the song would be "A Fool And His Money" by Wang Chung.

13. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    Before they fire them, I hope they will let them fix all the things they broke on the 721 with the latest software.

14. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm going to venture a guess that a) Very few of us in here have any clue about how to run a company like Eldon, and b) Absolutely none of us in here have seen the entire picture when it comes to the ins and outs of the E*/Eldon relationship.

15. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    A poor hardware design can lead for a very difficult life for software Engineers.

Without knowing all the details, I don't think it's fair for us to judge.

Ultimately, Echostar sold us the box with a list of features (I don't think spontaneously wiping the hard drive is among them). They are responsible.

We deserve a very good deal on an mpeg 4 PVR. The only question is will we get it?

16. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    The 721 software is done in the USA and not by Eldon.

17. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    Yeah, they probably have pictures of Charlie in a compromising position. It's the only logical explanation. :D

18. garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    I would think pictures of Charlie spouting bullsh*t and appearing clueless on Charlie Chats were pretty common, no?

19. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Yes, but it was originally designed by Eldon, wasn't it?

20. Jerry G

Jerry G Icon

Jul 12, 2003
    True enough. But the 921 was fairly stable prior to the addition of the local guide data. Then it really fell apart. I can only blame the programmers for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.