1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What show do you NOT want to see remade?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by clueless, Aug 21, 2009.

1. clueless

clueless Legend

Dec 6, 2004
    What show is so near and dear to your heart that the thought of a remake makes you physically ill. OK, that's a bit much, but you know what I mean.

For me it would be "The Andy Griffith Show". I just can't imagine anyone else but Andy Griffith, Don Knotts, Ron Howard, etc. playing the Mayberry gang.

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Not so near and dear, but I can't see them re-doing 'Clueless'. I mean Stacey Dash is all grown up now, so ...

3. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Rockford Files

I have a list full of others but we will start there for now.

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    "All in the Family" and "Mash" were too of the times to be remade anything like they were.

Frankly I can't imagine how one could literally try to remake "Marcus Welby, M.D." or "Father Knows Best." The characters wouldn't fit the times either, and so why bother?

5. Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    Gilligan's Island

6. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    +1!!

7. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    Leave it to Beaver. :p
    I Love Lucy

Somehow I don't think that either would translate very well to todays time. Especially with His & Her's seperate twin beds. Unless of course the Cleavers & Ricardo's are divorced/seperated/whatever. :lol:

8. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    There's not enough room on the internet to list them. ;)

9. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    Anything worth making is worth remaking when a little time has passed so the creators of the new edition aren't overly burdened by comparisons to the previous edition.

10. kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet.

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis.

11. dave1234

dave1234 Icon

Oct 9, 2005
    Mission Impossible. The movies are entertaining but nothing like the old series. A new series would likely be similar to the movies.

12. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    M*A*S*H
    Cheers
    Star Trek (original)
    Little House on the Prairie

13. Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    :) You know what? I actually though of Little House on the Prairie when I was thinking of shows I wouldn't want to see remade, but there was a miniseries a few years ago that was extremely faithful to the books and I thought it was very well done. Based on that, I think a return of LHOTP as a series is not something I'd object to.

14. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Anything from the 50s or 60s. Don't need new versions of that garbage polluting the airwaives.

15. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    THOSE are the better shows. They required talent both behind and in front of the camera. They had to do it right to get it on film. Editing was limited to cutting and splicing film clips. There was no computer manipulation. You either got it right or you reshot it.

Writing was far superior to the nonsense today. They knew how to tell a story and create suspense without all the graphics and gore and silly computer tricks.

16. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    In your opinion that is. Only good shows to come out of that era was The Twilight Zone, Dragnet and Adam 12. The rest is all garbage. Lucy, The Munsters, Bewitched and the rest of that crap. Piss poor acting, lame predictable lines, you can write a novel for a 'goofs guide', nonexistant special effects, no violence, no sex, no nudity, no gore, no profanity, yeah all that sounds like a hoot!

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Now THAT'S good television. That's what entertainment is all about.

18. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    You're absolutely correct, IMHO. Television has been on a steady and consistent rise, especially since 1981.

It isn't only, though, that technology has made it possible to bring certain artistic images to life in way impossible in the past, but also the state of artistry itself has improved. Entertainment is simply more entertaining now than ever before. While there are a lot of crappy actors/directors/writers out there, the best actors/directors/writers today are creating better work than the best actors/directors/writers of the past.

A lot of it has to do with today's artists being released from the bonds that chained yesterday's artists to inferiority. Today's entertainment is able to present more realism, more extremism, greater subtlety, etc., whatever is called for by the artistic vision being realized.

And television especially has especially benefited from the respect it has: Even without regard to technology or any other factors, television dramas, especially, often pay an attention to detail (in sets/locations, costuming, ambient sound, ... even hair and make-up continuity is far superior). This kind of attention to detail was often lost on, or simply beyond the means of, the creators of yesteryear.

19. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Married with Children. Ed O'Neill and Katey Sagal ARE Al and Peg!!! Would love a reunion show though!!! I mean one with an actual plot and they're in character.

20. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I think everybody's still around. Maybe they could do one for Bud's wedding?