1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What size dish need in honolulu

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mrel, Jul 28, 2014.

1. mrel

mrel New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Hello
    In los angeles ,california one dish can hold 110,119,129 lnb and receive good signal.
    Do any one know if in honolulu,hawaii if ONE dish can hookup 110,119,129 lnb and receive good signal or do need more than one dish to receive 110,119 to get good signal.
    mrel

2. MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 6, 2011
    You will need 2 separate dishes for 119/110 and 129. The 119/110 dish is 31.5w and 34.2h. I am not sure about the size of the 129 dish out there.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    if you could install three different dishes, I would go to 1m minimal size, better use 1.2m or 1.5-1.8m

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You would do well to locate a nearby DISH dealer.

5. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    The islands are not on a conus beam they are on a spot beam and receive different channels & packages than the mainland. Check with a Hawaiian dealer for local information.

6. comizzou573

comizzou573 Legend

Aug 6, 2007
    I live on the Big Island, and I currently have a 1000.2 Dish. I order my Dish through ebay, because all the trailers refused to service the dish 1000.2. Yes the dish 1000.2 will work as long, as you have a clear line of sight. I accidently beat my lnb arm, by a 1", so lnb is hanging lower, that is how I am picking up all 3 sats.If dish created a created a new lnb arm for hawaii, then dish 1000.2, will work. I do not know why someone hasn't manufacture lnb arms that will work with the conus dish 1000.2, because that is what the problem is. It has nothing to do with the dish being designed to pick up just conus. For Hawaii it actually picks up the conus from 110 and 119, and spotbeams on 129 for hawaii.

7. comizzou573

comizzou573 Legend

Aug 6, 2007
    I would go with directv those, and get the distant networks. Hawaii locals suck balls, if it wasn't for the superstation. I would dump dish right away.

8. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I don't think DIRECTV can offer DNS in Hawaii. STELA made special provisions for AK and HI due to the trailing time zone issues.

9. comizzou573

comizzou573 Legend

Aug 6, 2007
    Is this recently, I had distant networks both dish and all American direct. My waivers were approved through my local affiliates. I know that's the only way to get them, is if you local affiliates says ok.

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Are you located in Alaska or Hawaii?

11. comizzou573

comizzou573 Legend

Aug 6, 2007
    I am located in Hawaii. I went to read the stela, yeah states the trailing time zone, nothing about hawaii those. It mentions those if you have waivers granted by your local affiliates, then you can get distant networks. That is how I received mines.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It should be noted that DISH and DirecTV are not required to offer or deliver distant networks. They have the option to offer channels in total compliance with the laws. DISH delivers LIL to the DMA of Hawaii, which means under the law a waiver is required to get any other station from each network. But even if one gets a waiver, DISH and DirecTV are not required to provide the service.

13. comizzou573

comizzou573 Legend

Aug 6, 2007
    Perfecly said James : )

Hardly they would refuse those if you have waivers.

14. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is unfortunate that STELA doesn't seem to appear as a single document but a bunch of edits to previous SHVERA and SHVIA documents. The time zone thing made its first appearance in the SHVERA documents and are described here:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/policy/shvera.doc

Of course since DISH doesn't offer DNS, it is kind of academic but to assume that new DIRECTV subscribers would fare any better is probably folly as DIRECTV offers the Honolulu DMA as well.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    In truth STELA did not edit SHVERA or SHVIA ... all three edited existing laws. The big edit each five years is changing the expiration date of the laws allowing distant networks and superstations. Then other edits are done ... some are clean-ups ranging from punctuation to removal of expired sections. Other edits are more substantial.

DISH does not offer a separate package of distants, but they DO offer DNS stations. DISH uses the provisions of the DNS law to offer stations of their choice to viewers in short markets. A practice that fulfills the intent of the original distants law. To ensure that all subscribers have access to the four major networks.

As noted in my previous post, there is no requirement that any satellite provider offer the viewer's choice of distants or offer any distant station at all. Both DISH and DirecTV ensure that all subscribers have access to the four major networks in Hawaii by delivering local stations. Grandfathered DirecTV customers may still be receiving distants but I would not expect to get distants as a new customer.