1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What source is used for Hi-Def movies?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by davewolfs, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davewolfs

davewolfs Mentor

Aug 18, 2007
    Hey folks,

Do any of you know what type of source is used by DTV or DishNetwork when broadcasting movies in Hi-Def?

For example, today I watched Aliens, this is not available as HD DVD or Blu-Ray. So with that said, what are the networks using as a source to broadcast these movies in High Definition?

2. MyDogHasFleas

MyDogHasFleas AllStar

Jan 4, 2007
    First, Dish, DirecTV, or cable are just carriers. It's up to the network originating the movie to put it in the format they wish.

Normally, the network will have access to the original movie source. They don't have to get it from a DVD like a consumer would. The original movie source is normally a lot better than SD or even 480p DVD would be.

Then, they use their video equipment to create it ready for broadcast. There are lots of things that can go wrong in this process. But if they do their jobs well, you'll get a decent HD movie.

3. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    And after they encoding the movie, most of them are putting it to a hard disk these days.

4. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    In the very early days (1999), HBO had their own telecine for transferring the film in HD for transmission.

Today, once someone has an agreement for broadcasting the movie, they just order a transfer in the specs the prefer.

5. mmg

mmg Cool Member

Oct 26, 2005
    A lot of the movies on Voom's Monsters channel are converted from the 35mm prints to 1080i.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    VOOM channels show a screen how it was transformed before a feature, usually I saw from 35 mm film to 1080i.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.