1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What SWM options are really available?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by bgottschalk, May 31, 2008.

1. bgottschalk

bgottschalk Icon

Aug 30, 2007
    I am looking to get a second HR2x to replace a basic SD receiver in my living room. Currently there is only 1 line going to it.

I am trying to decide if I would be better to buy it at BB hook it up myself and live with 1 tuner for a while until I get around to running another line or can I upgrade to a SWM option.

Or if I should buy it from D*, get the installation and have them run another line...I just hate the thought of dealing with another installer...especially when I have most of the pieces in place already.

I hear a lot about SWM and SWM-Dish trials, but I'm having trouble figuring out what options are already available to the public in general, what they cost and what kind of install would be needed? If there is nothing right now, is something coming soon?

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    The SWMSlimline dish has only be released in a few area's and your area is not one of them. Also I believe it is only being used in certain situation and it is left up to the HSP to decide if you get one.

As for the SWM8. That is also only being used in certain markets right now and the same thing applies.

You can order an SWM8 online from solidsignal.com (and there are a couple of other places) or from a member (dave29) here.

3. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    BTW I am moving this to the DIRECTV installation forum.

4. bgottschalk

bgottschalk Icon

Aug 30, 2007

Thanks for the info!

It sounds like SWM is not really an option for the near future. I guess I will call and see what kind of installation deal I can get - if nothing then I will probably just buy it at BB and use 1 tuner for now.

5. kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    PM Dave29. He has the SWM8, splitters, diplexors, at the best prices (unless you can get them for free , and is a very helpful guy.

6. bgottschalk

bgottschalk Icon

Aug 30, 2007

Are they still in the $400 range?

I thought I saw them going for that at one point. That's a little steep for me to avoid running 100' of coax...

7. kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    I THINK Dave29 has the SWM8 for ~$250 but just PM him and ask. When I purchased mine from Dave, the SWM8 was just under $300. You can buy it from Solid Signal or Weakknees (lousy prices) but Dave will beat their price for sure.

8. Jun 1, 2008 #8 of 36
    grizbear

grizbear AllStar

Aug 9, 2007
    Remember that every extra cable you run is an opportunity for problems with more connectors, etc. as well as instabilities and signal strengths on your tuners. Since I installed a swm8 from dave29, my system has been rock-solid with identical signal strengths. It also brought my 103 readings up about 5 points. YMMV.

9. Jun 2, 2008 #9 of 36
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Is Dave gonna be able to get his hands on some SWMLine LNBs?

That would be awesome for me, I only have 2 lines running to my slimline so I would love to be able to get a swmline LNB ;)

10. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    yes he is, hopefully in less than a week now.:)

11. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Well, thats good, he should be ready for a PM asking how much when he gets his hands on said swmline lnbs ;)

12. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    oops, shouldnt have posted that so soon. just talked to my salesman and i wont have them until mid-june:nono2:

14. Jace

Jace Mentor

Sep 6, 2006
    Just got my SWM ODU on a new install at my condo in Chicago, I am in one the first roll out markets and the HSP (Direct Star) confirmed the information RobertE has been posting that they will only be providing these for new customers, your SOL for now if you are doing an upgrade.

It's really nice to only have one exterior hold drilled and utilize the interior wiring of the condo for all 3 of my HR20s!

15. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    These are not test markets. You are in Phase I of the the nation wide roll out. I don't know where people keep getting that they are still in test. I really wish that people would stop saying that they are in test markets only.

Also, as I have posted multiple times, they are currently for new customers only. They have no plans at this time to offer the SWM LNB as an upgrade item.

Note to OP, this wasn't directed specifically at you. Also glad you got the SWM LNB. Enjoy!

16. premio

premio Godfather

Sep 26, 2006
    I live in Sacramento, one of the test markets :lol: (for you Robert). I asked DirecTV CSR's how to get my hands on a SWMline (I miss Earl) and was told I can't. Is there a way to order a replacement dish so that I can finally have dual tuner in my bedroom? Or just wait and hold on still?

Thanks

17. cwdonahue

cwdonahue Legend

Jun 6, 2007
    For what it's worth, I went through the same thing you are contemplating. I did buy an HR21-700 (my owned HR-20 had died) and lived with it having only one tuner available due to the complexity of trying to get another line to it. I figured out getting a SWM-8 and doing it myself was the only solution after 4 months. I already have 4 lines running into my house, so a new SWMline dish didn't seem like a necessary choice. So, Dave29 hooked me up with a SWM, a 4-way splitter, and some custom short pieces (9") of coax to hook my OTA up to my HR20 and HR21 (well, the HR21 after I get an AM21).

It's not hard to do and it works great. I had some problems during the install, but they were all my fault. I posted a thread about it to help others avoid my mistake.

18. heathramos

heathramos Legend

Dec 19, 2005
    my friend just moved to a new house and the rooms only have one line in them

she asked the installer about the swm and he said that he had one but that he couldn't install it since it wasn't on the work order and for her to just call directv

long story but in the end but after talking to a few people including a supervisor, they said that they couldn't just add it to a workorder. she would have to cancel her account completely, return all the leased equipment (including the dvrs) and start a set up from scratch

sounds stupid to me

19. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    sounds about right:lol:
    the installation company wouldnt have got paid for it unless directvwould put it on the work order.
    i have found that my sanity is worth a little money out of pocket rather than dealing with csr after csr and everyone of them telling a different story.
    the only time i even call directv anymore is to activate a receiver.:)

20. Jace

Jace Mentor

Sep 6, 2006

Same thing happened to me ... I had 3 techs come out, only the 3rd tech could do what I requested. I had 2 HR20's that were on my roommates old account. When we split and I bought my own place, DTV allowed me to move them to my own account. The cond I just moved to was pre-wired DTV but only had an SD dish on the roof, I hooked the IRDs and they were good to go with signal so DTV activated the dishes. They then set up a work order to install the KA/KU dish as an "upgrade". This stupid process now made me ineligible for the SWM install (since I was an upgrade not a new customer). I had several calls with install coordinators and finally retention after threatening to just return everything and go with Comcast (gasp that would have sucked if they didn't bulk) . Retention then set up the 3rd work order and requested the SWM (saw it in the techs work order "please install swm if possible" . The tech came out and said he couldn't do it because it was an upgrade, I begged , he called his supervisor at Direct Star, they installed the SWM ODU and it's done now ...

so persistence is the name of the game right now until these things become main stream.