1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

what the heck is dtv thinking? .......again.....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Jodean, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Am i missing something?

Direct launched brand new stuff with no way of activating clients unless you wait on hold for 45 minutes??

Not sure why they haven't prepared for EVERY piece of equipment they release. It took 6 months for the auto system to activate a h25-700 box. Sure hope it dont take that long for c31's Have to hire another guy just to make phone calls i guess now. Same thing happened on h24's two years ago.

The csr's are even mad at the whole deal and have major attitudes when you say you need to activate a clent, complaining thats what EVERY phone call coming in is about.

is there a work around? I know we could just lie and call the h25-700 a 500 model and get by it. Hoping there is an answer, dont need 4 or 5 hour installs, customers start to get pissed after awhile of waiting on hold, hoping that they never need to call in......

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    You know, it's like a tornado, you never know if it hit your house or not ...
    And it's happening many times per year - you're lucky seen the issue once per two years. ;)

3. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    oh crap, expected launch of irv for c31 isnt till 11-14-12

take a month off i guess lol

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    and new HR44 is coming ...

5. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    oh, there is a secret code.....will try tomorrow when they are busy and see how long it takes then, of course right now they answer right away!

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    !rolling

This has got to be the funniest post of the month. :lol:

The C31 is an RVU client and as such isn't a receiver, nor does it have an access card.

"Good Luck" trying to get it activated as an H25. :nono2: !rolling

7. dielray

dielray Legend

Aug 5, 2009
    You have to close all the client line items after you close the server and before you pair. Is that your issue?

If you're a retailer, does it work if you close the order first?

8. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    VOS, read that again, I think he meant the H25-700 he has to lie and say it's a -500

Atleast that's how I read it.

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    That may be the case, but how do you lie about a serial number that has the maker's code as part of it? :confused:

10. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    @VOS :biggthump Too true!

But we are talking about CSR, weather they are high level CSR's that activate new installs or the newest they are all CSR's :grin:

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    That are still using the same system that knows what serial numbers are. ;)

12. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    A user name and password.;)

Looks like you could afford one with all the work you claim to do. That along with a smart phone would allow you to activate without calling Directv. You would be able to put in that MAC Address yourself and not spend all that time on hold waiting for an irritated CSR.

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I guess it's just luck of the draw Jodean. Two different installations of Genie clients yesterday and both were activated within 10 minutes. Go figure.

14. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    you read that wrong, i used to have to lie about h25-700 being h25-500's

15. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    No, as far i know there is no way to activate a clent right now from a dealer other than talking to a csr

16. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    is that an option for dealer? If so im interested, i kinda doubt it though.

The hsp guys cant activate my receivers either with their hand helds, it has to be in their system.

17. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Thats what i figured....its a 25 minute wait during the day......better get extra cell minutes now.....

18. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    You should ring them up Cuz. Back in the day I installed for dealers and retailers. It was pretty lonely and unsupported out there. I wandered in here looking for help and spent a lot of time lurking. I work for an HSP now and dont have any of the issues you experience. I'm not suggesting you sign on but you might reevaluate your position and have a talk with dealer services.

19. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    I actually applied at HSP during the wait to see if i got the contract for this area as an installation company. HSP wanted me, but had a DUI 2 1/2 years back so they said no.

On the other hand i make about triple of what HSP guys do. Alot of crap to deal with, imagine what you do, but also run inventory, and your entire HSP's bosses job all while doing installs, plus conference calls and dozens of emails aday including completion reports and score cards, and then have your techs calling you asking questions as well..........thats me!!

20. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    A seasoned installer with DTV averages between 60-80k (W2 tech) so you are making 180-240k a year?