1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What the heck is this??

Discussion in 'Technical Talk (Closed Forum)' started by 88fan, Mar 19, 2005.

1. 88fan

88fan Legend

Jan 22, 2004
    Ok I've been doing all kinds of satellites and antennas for about 7 years now, but my neighbor just had something installed and I was curious what the heck it is. It is mounted on a dish mast that either dish or direct would use, and instead of a dish on it, there is a rectangular white box clamped on it. This box is about 12 inches high and 6 inches wide and about 4-6 inches deep. It is facing the southwestern sky too. Is this some generic off air antenna or what? Curiousity is killing me.

2. BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris Icon/Supporter

Apr 20, 2004
    Just guessing, but it could be a WiFi antenna. Your neighbor may be illegally creating a WiFi hotspot for other neighbors to share.

3. 88fan

88fan Legend

Jan 22, 2004
    Share what? They don't have satellite, I know that for a fact, they're on cable.

4. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Share internet. For examples sake lets say cable internet in your area is $50. Get a cheap wireless router from WalMart, have the neighbors get cheap PCI or USB adaptors, and charge them $10-$15 a month or something that costs $50. They get cheap broadband, you get free broadband or even make a profit.

There are also antennas that you can build that look similar to satellite dishes that can reverse engineer WIFI signals. A buddy of mine built one of these things, the antenna has a range of about 35 miles by default, he reflects it off of a water tower and gets a greater range and a choice of over 2 dozen unsecured wireless networks to connect to.

5. 88fan

88fan Legend

Jan 22, 2004
    I got Dish and cable broadband for my internet......so your saying he could be sponging off of my services for free????

6. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Before we get ahead of ourselves here, could you find this device some where online? I would say post a pic of it, but I'm not sure your neighbor would appreciate having his roof on the net without his knowledge.

Do you have WiFi?

7. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Why would you think this is being done "illegally" ???

Standard output level hotspots do NOT need to be licensed. Period.

Only 2.4GHz band transmissions over 30dBi (omni) 36dBi (directional) need licensing.

8. BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris Icon/Supporter

Apr 20, 2004
    My point was that the illegality would be the sharing of his Internet service to neighbors. That's a violation of his ISP's TOS.

9. 88fan

88fan Legend

Jan 22, 2004
    Really guys, my neighbor is a pretty decent guy. I really would be suprised if he's into anything illegal. I was just wondering what this device was on his roof.

10. Orcatek

Orcatek Legend

May 1, 2003
    Why not just ask him?

11. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Again, you do NOT know that sharing is illegal unless you have read the contract that HE signed. Not all ISPs are dictators, although I will admit that most are.

The GOOD ones understand that they are selling bandwidth, not client connections, and deal with that accordingly.

In this case, he's probably just a WISP client, and not actually sharing.

12. mcglauch

mcglauch Mentor

Jan 7, 2004
    Couldn't it be a square shooter hdtv antenna?

13. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    Why not take a snap and post it?

14. ghfiii

ghfiii Mentor

Mar 25, 2005
    One of the local ISPs in our area uses antennas that look similar to what you described for wireless internet access distribution.

15. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    That is what I need, to get a high speed internet signal from town transmitted through an antenna. I can only get 24K dialup. It used to be 53K but when I switched phone companies it went down to 24K and when I went back to the original one its still only 24K and they said that they only guarantee a dialtone thats all. I'd like to know more information on this antenna.

16. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Well. that settles that!

What we have here is a is a rectangular white box about 12 inches high and 6 inches wide and about 4-6 inches deep, facing the southwestern sky WiFi antenna making an illegal wifi hotspot with a square shooter hdtv antenna running at 2.4 mHz, band transmissions while pumping out over 30dBi (omni) 36dBi (directional) for wireless internet access & distribution.

Go ask.:rolleyes:

17. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Could it be this Terk HDTV-S antenna I saw at Best Buy?

18. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
  19. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Does it look anything like the top dish in my avatar?

That's a Motorola Canopy transceiver (available in several frequencies between 900MHz and 5.8GHz), used for MMDS and WiFi. Canopy is a wireless terrestrial RF subscriber module commonly used for highspeed internet connectivity or for municipal emergency services. Speeds vary depending on provider equipment, but it is rated up to 45Mbps. There are 2 carriers in my area and they advertise 2 way residential service up to 7Mbps with a 12Mbps frame burst. Business plans are much higher bandwidth. BTW there are a couple of tower modules that are almost identical to a square shooter except the housing color is an off white instead of grey. Dimensions are close though.

http://motorola.canopywireless.com/prod_specs.php?action=show&recID=1438

20. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...