1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the... is this right?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by SatorCable, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 3, 2006 #1 of 22
    SatorCable

SatorCable New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    I just called Dish because I WAS thinking about switching over from time warner cable. However, Dish tells me that I can only have 1 HD DVR per account and that the HD DVR can record 2 channels at once, but only one of the channels it records will be in HD... the other in SD. Then they go to tell me that my cable is not true 1080i and that "technically speaking" over cable they cannot send me 1080i. They say the most i'm getting now is 480 and that their SD channels are 720 and are higher than my current HD channels.

Why am I going to switch when I currently have 2 HD DVR's with TWC and can record a total of 4 HD channels at once?

2. Oct 3, 2006 #2 of 22
    dishbacker

dishbacker Godfather

Jun 15, 2004
    A bit of confusion in the translation there....

1 HD DVR (VIP-622) receiver: Can RECORD 2 Satellite streams (either HD or SD) and 1 OTA-HD stream. So, it can have 3 active HD streams recording / live at one time.

From that receiver, you can hook it up to 2 TVs. TV1 hookups are HD hookups (HDMI / Component). There is the regular SD hookups if you need them. TV2 hookups are SD-ONLY hookups. So, you can only watch 1 HD show at a time. If you want to WATCH 2 different shows at the same time on 2 different tvs, then 1 TV can be HD, the other can only be SD.

This does allow 2 different TVs to share the 30HD/200SD (or whatever combination) of PVR space that the 622 has on it.

I'm completely lost on the cable not 1080i stuff. if they are trying to talk about pixels (i.e. HD-Lite stuff of taking 1920x1080i and downconverting to something like 1280x1080i or 1440x1080i) dish does that as well with a number of their channels, so I really don't understand that discussion.

3. Oct 3, 2006 #3 of 22
    SatorCable

SatorCable New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    What they were saying with the HD DVR is that you can only record 1 HD channel at a time and that the other channel is directed for SD.

So Dish does HD-Lite on some channels? I thought only Directv did that.

4. Oct 3, 2006 #4 of 22
    Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    The Voom channels are 1280 x 1080 and some of the other national channels are 1440 x 1080 and there are some true hd resolution channels. Directv does all their hd channels in 1280 x 1080. Dish has 30 and Directv has around 9 hd channels. Next year will open bandwith for both services since Dish will do all hd in mpeg4 by next summer along with the hd locals that are already in mpeg 4 , and Directv will have more sat space and mpeg 4 to finally add more national channels along with all the hd locals. The question is do you want more hd now or next year?

5. Oct 3, 2006 #5 of 22
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "They" were wrong. You can record two HD via satellite and one HD over the air at the same time and either watch those feeds or other content you've stored on the receiver.

HD shows can be watched on TV2 except they will be downconverted (that's the limit of the cable - the modulated signal they send is normal TV not hi-def). HD shown on TV2 will be either letterboxed or zoom/cropped (your choice). SD will be full screen. E* (= Echostar/Dish Network) treats TV2 as always 4:3.

Many users have recorded three HDs at many times. It can be done.
    Dish has a few channels in what some label "HD Lite" ... D* uses that form of HD compression for all of it's HD channels.

The HD Lite discussion is ongoing in our Dish HD forum. No need to take this thread that way.
    See http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=63814 - especially toward the end of the thread.

6. Oct 3, 2006 #6 of 22
    wingnut1

wingnut1 Legend

Nov 10, 2005
    I believe that you can only rent one HD-DVR receiver per year per account. You can buy a second 622 if you want. Also they will record two satellite feeds and one OTA feed at the same time. These can all be in HD.

7. Oct 3, 2006 #7 of 22
    gsarjeant

gsarjeant AllStar

Sep 15, 2006
    Ooooh - where is that setting? I've been wanting to letterbox it for a while now.

8. Oct 3, 2006 #8 of 22
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Press * (which is also labeled FORMAT) on the TV2 remote.
    It only affects HD content. SD channels showing letterboxed shows cannot be zoomed by this function.

Pressing * is the same way you flip through the formats on the TV1 remote. :)
    (Except you can zoom SD shows on TV1 and rid yourself of letterboxing.)

9. Oct 3, 2006 #9 of 22
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The part about new customers leasing only one HD DVR seems to be true. They'll sell you one for $499 or you can wait a few months until they are willing to offer you another unit.
    This is someone going off the deep end. It is entirely possible that the TWC HD content is scaled, but so is some of Dish's HD content (the Voom channels).
    That's up to you. If you can find four channels out of the 19 that TWC offers that you might want to record at once, you're ahead of the game.

If your monthly fee is reasonable and you're getting the programming you need, you should stay where you're at. If it isn't, there will probably be some compromises. Going to Dish means losing access to Cinemax HD and INHD, but you pick up ESPN2 HD, Food HD, HGTV HD and the Voom channels.

Leaving TWC video programming behind may raise your Internet access cost.

When I went through this process a couple of years ago, I lined up what the local CATV vendor (Comcast) was offering in a table with Dish Network and DirecTV. From there I compared what I needed with what they were charging and settled on a choice. I haven't yet regretted the choice I made.

10. gsarjeant

gsarjeant AllStar

Sep 15, 2006
    Fantastic! Thanks, I dug through the menus but nothing jumped out at me. I didn't realize you could flip through the formats with a button press on either remote. :)

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread.

11. SatorCable

SatorCable New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    So then none of the dish channels are true 1080i like TWC... that sucks.

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That's not what he said. Listing a few channels that are scaled does not say ALL channels are scaled and none are 1080i.

13. SatorCable

SatorCable New Member

Oct 3, 2006

Not to mention losing all of the good free OnDemand channels that TWC has. Leaving TWC for internet won't increase my costs because they are lowering the rates and I would be (soon) paying less as an internet only subscriber than I currently am on their rate plan as a tv+internet subscriber. So that part doesn't matter.

So only the voom channels are limited HD and the others are true 1080i?

Not to mention... the wife wants PBTV which TWC doesn't offer as a monthly price :hurah:

14. SatorCable

SatorCable New Member

Oct 3, 2006

I missed the whole "true resolution channels" part of his reply. :(

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
  16. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    No, most of the HD channels on Dish are not 1080i. However, note that 720P is also a valid HD resolution. I'm sure someone can list here the few that are full HD resolution (1080i or 720P).

17. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Don't confuse 1080i with "true HD" because all of the Disney family HD channels (ABC, Fox, ESPNs) are 1280x720p. Everybody recompresses their HD content. Scaling is another form of lossy compression and it sometimes yields better results than turning up the MPEG compression.
    Dish Network arguably has the most adult programming and the channels with monthly rates are much cheaper than two blocks of PPV.

Your priorities (conditioned by those of your family) are unique, so you're going to have to figure this out for yourself. We can help you with the details.

18. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Last I checked, only the Voom channels are scaled.

19. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Some HD channels are 720p.(ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD to name a couple.)

20. SatorCable

SatorCable New Member

Oct 3, 2006

Doesn't VOOM take up most of the HD channels offered?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.