1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What The !

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Hornnumb2, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    Tried to watch True Blood and I get this message, never seen this before!!!

Attached Files:

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Do you have,
    anything else connected to the back of your DTV receiver, maybe a DVD recorder ?
    component and HDMI to the same TV ?

I had component and HDMI connected to mine and I got that message. Unplugging either of them would then allow the program / movie to play.

3. goober22

goober22 Godfather

Sep 8, 2004
    Sunny...
    "What The ! "

Great topic title. "What The ?" is my answer.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Big Brother got you ! boohahah

1 person likes this.
  5. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    There is an HDMI device connected to the receiver but it is turned off or for some reason cannot communicate with the receiver telling it what it is and sharing digital copy protection information so you get this message on the other outputs. A good channel for testing this is channel 100 which will produce the same result.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    tha would stupidiest reaction to "no device on other end" case; who is the bright brain who make such meaningless rule?! :eek2:

7. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Make sure it's connected to either hdmi or component not both at the same time, or you will see that message, or you can try another hdmi cable if you still see the message then reboot.

Edit: I see they already suggested what I posted.

8. kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    Are you connected to an A/V receiver? Make sure that it's compatible with the latest version of HDMI. I had to upgrade my receiver because of that.

9. Phil17108

Phil17108 Mentor

Apr 10, 2010
    Orange...
    Big Brother.

I went to this dance a long time ago, It's content protection that comes from the studios and one of the ways it is implemented, with DirecTV is if you have 2 sets on one tuner or DVR, one using component the other HDMI the tuner reads the connection and blocks the component output with that message. That happens on the pay channels, the HBO's Showtime and so on. I was just getting started with some equipment upgrades, so I pulled the component cables out of wall replacing with HDMI and a Monoprice splitter. I still have, in another place in the house 2 sets on one DVR ,hr21, that would do that on the component set, replaced that DVR this week with a C41 client of a hr44. Just tested and no message with the HDMI set on or off, I wonder what changed?

10. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Let us know if any of the advice in this thread has helped and if not we'll figure it out.

BTW, HDCP is imposed on DIRECTV by the content providers (as Phil17108 has already said). If the DVR can't tell if it meets certain criteria it'll give you that message. Depending on what you have connected it probably thinks you're trying to output True Blood onto something it doesn't want you to.

Mike

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    the point is in implementation, not who and why imposed HDCP

also no one made a clear statement from DTV dish cable Cos : what is allowed what is not

12. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    [SIZE=10.5pt]I doubt you'll see a clear statement from any provider on the subject. I suspect it's part the carriage agreement and they won't go into much detail. I also suspect that the carriage agreement probably specifies the minimum criteria to be used for copy protection.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]As to how it's implemented, if the DVR can't meet all the HDCP requirements it's gonna default to not outputting the video. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Do you think they should just ignore it and allow the recording to play whether or not it meets HDCP? If I was the content provider, say HBO, I'd be pretty danged upset if DIRECTV allowed that.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I guess the question is how much leeway DIRECTV has in deciding to pass the signal or not. Until we know that you can’t say it’s improperly implemented.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Mike[/SIZE]

13. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    Yes I had both outputs hooked up, unpluged one and took care of the problem. Thanks

14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Glad that is what it was and you are good to go now.
    Thanks for the update.

15. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    If you would like the title changed at any point so others could easily be helped by the info here just let one of the mods know.

Asus mobile.

16. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I actually get that error fairly often on an Apple TV connected via HDMI to a Sony TV. I think it's more of a handshaking glitch than anything.

We just reboot the ATV and it's fine. Rebooting an HR is 15-20 minutes.

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It it's affecting _us_ it must be written rule (if you'are driving a car, you should know the rules), you are watching your TV and paid by you the program/show you must know the rule(s)

"[SIZE=10.5pt]As to how it's implemented, if the DVR can't meet all the HDCP requirements it's gonna default to not outputting the video. "[/SIZE]

18. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    Mod you can change the title if you like, seems it must have offended one person.

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    and change a signature ;) or we should call you Mr.AsusMobile ? :D

20. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Seriously? :scratchin

Nearly every clause in every carriage agreement directly affects “us”. There is absolutely no chance of DIRECTV disclosing the contents of those agreements...zero chance...not gonna happen...ever.

Using your logic our bills are directly related to the cost of the carriage agreements. Let’s see. What’s the possibility they’ll tell us how much the pay per subscriber? Zero.

DIRECTV, or any other provider for that matter, is never going to tell us the terms of any carriage agreement and if those copy protection requirements are part of those agreements then all we'll know is they're implementing them.

Mike