1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What To Do After Installer Lied To Me About SWM?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by devildog820, Jan 22, 2009.

1. devildog820

devildog820 Cool Member

Jan 15, 2009
    So I just had my DirecTV service installed last night. I called yesterday to confirm the HR-23 (I got it) and the type of installation. I assumed a standard one, but the DirecTV rep told me I was getting a free upgrade to SWM. Needless to say, I was fairly excited about that one.

However, when I asked the installer about it, he said he had to call. So he goes outside and calls someone. He comes back in and says it will have to be a regular install with two lines because there is no justification for the SWM. Since my online order said nothing about SWM, I didn't really push it because it was getting really late. When I went to sign the order after he was done I saw, in big letters, "SWM install" as one of the line items.

So he lied to me, I guess because he didn't have everything he needed, etc. However, the document I signed said SWM install. I'm going to call DirecTV today, but what should I ask for? I'm thinking of a few things:

• He drilled a hole through the outside wall straight into my bedroom and didn't put a box or anything. So I might want that fixed.
    • Have someone come out and do an SWM install like I was promised
    • Argue for a huge credit, etc, because I had to wait so long (he was over 2 hours late) and I didn't get what was promised

How feasible is it to have them come back out and fix it?

Thanks.

2. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Was this a New Install? If so, then you were entitled to a SWM system all New Installs are done with a SWM LNB. If this was an upgrade then give it up you were not entitled to nothing and the rep that set the order up most likely just put a BIG NOTE on the order that said SWM system which means didly :hurah: Your install is done maybe you should call and complain about the way it was done they should have sealed the hole and used a wall plate but other than that get a life there is no real advantage to having a SWM system so why do you just have to make such a big deal about it.

3. devildog820

devildog820 Cool Member

Jan 15, 2009
    It was a brand new install. I care because now I have to have two wires and because I was promised SWM. This is a business transaction after all.

What if I only paid DirecTV for part of the month because I wasn't home? Even though I promised to pay the whole month. Think they would care? ;)

4. tomkarl

tomkarl Legend

Jan 6, 2009
    :welcome_s

Call and fight for the SWM. You were promised one and should have one.

One word of caution, it's been my experience that the Directv CSRs aren't always the most polite and helpful people. So be prepared to have patience as you work through it.

5. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I'd call and keep asking for the next level supervisor until you get satisfaction. Be polite but firm. Not to defend the CSR's though but I was surprised with the disconnect between what I'd signed up for and what the installer came prepared to do. DirecTV actually called me to upgrade my system several months ago as I had the old 3LNB dish. After some discussion we settled on a new Slimline and a HD DVR and set an install date. The installer shows up with a HD DVR under his arm and no Slimline. He showed me his work order that simply says to install an HD DVR but nothing else. I showed him a print out of what I'd ordered from DirecTV and was showing on my account on the website. They obviously didn't match.....not sure who to blame in that situation other than the "system" between DirecTV and their installers.

6. devildog820

devildog820 Cool Member

Jan 15, 2009
    I called and they were very apologetic. It was obvious the installer just wanted to get home because it was after 4:30pm when he finally showed up. They are coming back out to pull the wires and patch the holes then install the SWM. The CSR could not have been nicer, either. I'll update this thread when they finish.

7. tomkarl

tomkarl Legend

Jan 6, 2009
    Great news. Glad it worked out so easily for you.

8. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007

9. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    The OP is in Florida so cold weather is a non issue:) My neighbor had a new install yesterday with a single H23 and they used a SWM dish, the tech reported that is all they use on new installs.

10. mcinstall

mcinstall New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Depends on who you signed up with a retailer or Directv themselfs. retailer can't ues swm after the first of the year unless there are 5 tuners or more. If it was Directv then you have a ligit compaint unless you just got one reciver and how may wires did he put through your wall?

11. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Dave,

I missed the Florida part. But still, there is a balance between what is needed and what is wanted. This junk is going in for free. Most of the money goes to the HSP and what is left is on the table for some tech to loose over crap like a hole in a wall.

Grrrr!

Joe

12. devildog820

devildog820 Cool Member

Jan 15, 2009
    I realize that a hole in the wall might not seem like a big deal, but it is an eyesore. Especially when we have to move. There is just a huge cable sticking out of the wall. I would have appreciated a faceplate at the very least.

He also took my HDMI and component cables because I already had some. I didn't realize they were part of the DVR packages until I read this forum. So he ripped me off that way too, although I'm sure the contractor encourages him to take leftover cables to save money on their bottom line.

Signed up over the phone with DirecTV. :)

13. satguy22

satguy22 Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    Those cables dont come with the reciever any more. We have to carry them on our truck and use them when and where they are needed. You have already cost the installer all the money he made from your install and you are still kicking him when he is down?

14. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    You were probably told already, csr's promise alot of things but they are JUST csrs. If your expecting someone to go out there to change the install to a SWM...i doubt that it will happen but good luck.

What the Csr probably did was put a note in the activity to tell the tech its a SWM install but he cant do that cause its all about what the computer says...if when you make the order the computer system they have doesnt generate a SWM well then you wont get one at all unless you buy one and install it yourself.

If you call DIRECTV and ask them to look at the order, they can tell you if the order included a SWM or not.

15. yogi

yogi Legend

Feb 8, 2006
    The Installer ripped you off! Because he didn't leave you extra cables or hookup a SWM. You should get the latest equipment even if you don't need it. Because your paying so much for the install. You should have it all.
    When the install was still there. Did you say anything about not having a wall plate?

Call DirecTV and complain, Maybe you will get more free stuff.

16. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Not part of a free install. Bushing / grommet is.

17. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Exactly,

DTV should have a truck riding around handing out twenty dollar bills. "You got a FREE installation and you want something else?....here is a twenty....and a wall plate,"

Joe

18. devildog820

devildog820 Cool Member

Jan 15, 2009
    edit: Good grief, this became quite a long post. Basically, I just want the install to be made right. I don't really care about cables or wall plates.

Man, some of you guys really feel strongly about this, eh?

Here's the rundown:

I did call them and they confirmed it on their end.

The order the installer had did say SWM install, not a note, but a line item. So DirecTV paid for an SWM install and he is likely defrauding them. I don't know how billing works, though, so I could be wrong. He told me he couldn't do it, probably because it was so late in the day. Not my problem, he's a professional. Call and cancel and come back when you have time to do it right. He took a shortcut and now it has to be fixed.

I don't "need" anything. I don't "need" satellite TV, but it's awesome. SWM is awesome because it eliminates cable clutter. I don't need a DVR, but it's nice. I don't need tons of HD space on that DVR, but again, nice. Do you need a washer with more than one option? Do you need a computer that does not take up half the room? Of course not, but it's nice and it's a selling point.

It doesn't matter that it's "free", I was still promised an SWM install and I did not get it. And it's not really free, I'm committed to DirecTV for two years now. Do you think the cell phone you get for signing up for service is actually free?

I don't care about the cables, that just annoyed me on top of everything else. I use Monoprice (which is awesome) anyway. I would not have even brought this up. Also, how is he "down," already? I haven't actually heard from them yet, just DirecTV.

The installer at my friends house (same company) put two boxes in all the rooms, for free. Although I wouldn't make him come back out and put a box on it.

Lastly, he finished up and then took off. Everything was not set up properly and we had no idea how to use the system. Cable ends and pieces were everywhere. Again, not a big deal about no training because I read these forums, but still.

I know you guys work hard and get ripped off constantly by the principal. My buddy is a cable installer and he is forever getting jacked around. The guy was very nice and I'm sure he's a good installer. I'm not looking to cause problems, I just want what I paid for.

19. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Devildog,

It is not your fault. All the big and little things you expected were alluded to in an intentionally ambiguous way by various levels of sales folks. It should not be the installer who has to untwist the whole mess.

What comes out of your TV is what you are buying. If your system breaks you will end up paying to fix it unless you buy the protection plan. Even then there are some exceptions.

As you continue with DTV and pay them each month if something doesn't work they will organize a way to fix it. They will refuse to do anything cosmetic or make adjustments other than reestablishing service.They may elect to make changes in your system to improve it.

This is just my experience. I am not a representative of DTV and they may come up with more stuff than I mentioned.Sorry you got crunched for what has been going on for years.

Joe

20. thespaceghost

thespaceghost Legend

May 23, 2008
    I hate to bust your bubble, but you're not entitled to anything except what you ordered. There can be a whole list of reasons why he didn't setup a SWM. You ordered a HDDVR and an HDDVR package. As long as DTV delivers the programing, they have fulfilled their end. Quit trying to free meal everyone and be happy with what you have.