1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What to do with a customer owned 722K?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by jreaves, Jan 13, 2013.

1. jreaves

jreaves New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Due to pine tree growth I can no longer get a Line of Sight to either the Dish Eastern arc or the Western arc satellites. I had a leased 722k and a customer owned 722K. I terminated the dish service and went with Directv. Dish said I only had to return the leased 722K and could keep the other one. Then they sent me an E-mail saying that I could not sell or reactivate the customer owned 722k on another account as it was tied to my account.

My question is what do I do with a customer owned 722k that is in perfect condition but will never be able to use it again? Can it be sold for parts or do I just take it to the local electronics recycle location?

2. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Sell it on eBay.

3. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    (I'm an independent installer)

Is the 722 no transfer policy new?

I mediated a sale between 2 customers, and DISH activated the 722 on the buyers account with only the usual amount of booting, rebooting, terms and conditions, rebooting, hold time, call transferred to somebody else, rebooting again, almost rolled a truck and then it came on and we were good to go.

This was probably September 2012.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    OP must call and say he want release the DVR from his [old] account and terminate his ownership (if no outstanding balance on it, obviously), then he could sell or gift it.

5. jreaves

jreaves New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    After a long call that finally got transferred to a supervisor level person at DISH, they agreed to remove the customer owned 722K receiver from my account since there was no balance due. Quite a bit of hassle but worked.

Below is the original E-mail I received from DISH:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    You have recently cancelled your DISH subscription.

Per your agreement, you are responsible for returning your equipment. Please review the information below to determine what equipment to return.

VIP722K R0122852098 Return Required
    VIP722K R0127817775 Return Not Required

For your convenience we will send empty boxes and shipping labels to the address below. Return instructions will be included with the empty boxes.

[Address Removed]

Do not attempt to sell any equipment that does not need to be returned. This equipment is tied to your DISH account and cannot be transferred to another DISH customer.

Thank you,

DISH

6. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    As far as I know he shouldn't have had to do that. As long as I've been at dish, as long as the receiver was disables, customer owned, and there was no past due balance on the account, it can be transferred to another account with pretty much no questions asked.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you don't know all details ... I did post same answer a couple years before and the process is still there

8. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    This is the process, owned and clear balance then the new owner calls and adds it to their account. The original owner does NOT need to call and clear it first.

9. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    The details don't matter, owned and clean balance and transfer. The owner doesn't need to call and remove it, that's incorrect.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I did that a few times, so it is correct regardless what is you telling here.

11. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    P smith, why don't you ask a dirt member if the owner must call and clear it and you will see your info is wrong. If its owned and clear balance, the new owner can get it transferred on their own. That is the policy regardless of your personal experience. I've transferred equipment many times without ever needing the original owner to call and remove it from their own account.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Don't chase me, just read from other posters. At least pay attention to OP posts:

13. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    From my experience, does the owner need to contact dish to remove it first, no.

14. supermod38

supermod38 Mentor

Jan 16, 2013
    Central VA.
    supermod38
    supermod38 is online now SatelliteGuys Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Become a Pub Member Today!

I sold a 222K on E-bay three days after deactivation. NEVER called to have it removed from my account!!! :D:D:D

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    YMMV

16. Bradrlz

Bradrlz Cool Member

Jan 18, 2013
    What is the benefit of owning the box yourself?

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    could resell it, no contract, you can swap HDD if old one is dead, you can open a cover and add a fan to cool down the killing heat, you could paint it pink to please your wife, etc