1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do with recordings on soon-to-be-deactivated HD DVRs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Lord Vader, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I received my Genie that I purchased (yes, purchased), and after reconfiguring some stuff later this week, I'll activate the HR44. It will replace an HR20-700 and an HR21, the former of which has numerous recordings. I do have a device that would allow me to burn each recording to a DVD, but that will be tedious and laborious and require a lot of my time to do so. Absent that, what's the best way to watch the recordings on that DVR? Any recommendations? Keep activated indefinitely? Deactivate and try to still watch? Just wondering...

1 person likes this.
  2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I would keep it active, remove all series recordings from it (so it does not record anything more), and watch it down until you are done with it.

Just out of curiosity, when you say "purchased" you are suggesting owned status as opposed to leased. May I ask how you did that?

3. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Yes, I purchased it outright at a pretty good price. That was the only way I was able to ensure I obtained an HR44.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    There are ways to lease a box and guarantee an HR44, like getting it through SolidSignal. But then I know some actual owned ones have been sold on here.

Personally, I'd just keep the old one activated until you've watched everything, unless it's stuff you want to keep.

5. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I was hoping to avoid that, but for $6/month, it might be the easiest thing to do. However, because keeping at least that one activated is an additional 2 tuners to the Genie and one other that is connected, I have to replace the 3LNB w/ SWM that is part of my dish with one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006E89F62/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

then use a powered SWM16, because the current LNB with SWM doesn't support more than 8 tuners. I happen to have one of the above LNBs, so changing it out shouldn't be a problem.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You can set up a regular HR2x DVR to only use one tuner. That might be an acceptable option for the one you will be using mainly to watch previously recorded content on.

1 person likes this.
  7. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    That might be something I can consider.

Sent from my EVO LTE using DBSTalk mobile app

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    When you deactivate the HRs make sure you have them unplugged and unattached to the coax. Then you'll be able to see your content and play it. If you deactivate an HR and it is plugged in and attached to the coax you might not be able to do this. I always take an HR with me when I go on vacation.

Rich

9. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I'm not following you. I'm about to upgrade to a Genie and Mini Genies setup and I have an HR 20 with lots of stuff on it still. So I deactivate my HR20 online or over the phone, but don't have it connected to my DirecTV system? Then when I want to watch shows off of it, I just power it up and use the HDMI cables only?

10. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I agree. I'm confused.

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Ok, if you own the receiver, you can disconnect it from the sat feeds and internet feeds, and then call in and deactivate it. They won't ask for it back and since it never received a disconnect signal and isn't connected to anything that could give it that signal it will still work for a while. Not sure how long a while is, it varies. But it will work for a while andyou can watch your shows off it. Worse case, reactivate it at some point if you don't finish watching the shows off it before it locks up since it hadn't received an authorized signal.

Receivers stop working if they receive a disconnect signal OR haven't gotten an authorized signal in a long time. I'd leave it plugged in to power, just not Internet and phone and sat lines.

Now, if you don't own a receiver, if you are doing a swap, they will likely take it and you lose it so you need to leave it active.

If you are doing a drop ship upgrade and you have an HR20 then they wont want it back.

Any other unit, they still recover, so they will ask for it back and send you a way to ship it back. So you would want to keep it activated till you watched everything.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    That might be something I can consider.

I think that's the easiest way to do it. Just turn off one tuner and leave it activated.

13. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    But the problem is that the so-called "long time" can be from a few days to a few months. Nobody so far has figured out exactly how often the receiver needs to see the satellite signal to keep playing back recordings.

14. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    And it'd vary based on receiver model, and likely, location.
    I've had no problem playing back stuff from a long ago deactivated HR-20.

1 person likes this.
  15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I just checked my R22 that I deactivated about a year ago and I still can watch recordings on it. I tried checking my old R15, but it was last set up for RF and I don't have a remote programmed for it, plus I can't find the RF antenna.

- Merg

1 person likes this.
  16. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    How is your R22 currently set up?

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    How is your R22 currently set up?

It's not. I pulled it out of a cabinet and plugged it in to test it.

- Merg

18. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I meant how is it connected when you watch its recordings?

19. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I meant how is it connected when you watch its recordings?

For testing, I hooked it up via S-video (inputs are on side of TV), but I usually hook it up via component (inputs on back of TV). Although when I'm lazy, I'll just use S-video as it's easier.

- Merg

20. bossfan50

bossfan50 AllStar

Apr 28, 2007
    I am a little dense when it comes to this stuff so I am going to ask what may have already been answered so please be nice if the answer is already in the thread.

I am upgrading a HR20-700 to a HR44 so I am going to be deactivating the HR20 that still has a bunch of recordings that I want to watch. I understand that I should disconnect the cable from the HR20 before deactivating. The HR44 is going to be routed through my home theater receiver for video and audio. If I connect the HR20 video and audio directly to the TV then I can just set the TV input for the video port that I have the HR20 connected to and play the recordings, correct? And it does not matter that the access card is deactivated because I am just playing recordings, correct?