1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What to expect if I drop down.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by StephenJC, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Feb 3, 2013 #1 of 20
    StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    Ok so I have 2 HR24s and 2 H24s with Choice Xtra, protection plan, MRV, and Free HD for life since I have auto pay. I am thinking of switching to Dish. It will be cheaper for me to get AT 120+ with hopper and 3 Joeys and just drop the DirectTv down to family to finish out my contract, than it would be to pay for what I have now, which is the min needed to get Indians games on STO. My question is if i call and am unable to get any discounts to stay with DirecTv, what sort of fees might I pay when dropping down to just 1 receiver with family? I know I will have to send the HD boxes back but what else?

2. Feb 4, 2013 #2 of 20
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    with one hopper you will have way less tuners.

Hopper only has 3 and one of them can record the big 4 prime time.

Get at least 2 hoppers for 4 TV's.

3. Feb 4, 2013 #3 of 20
    Darth Malgus

Darth Malgus Cool Member

Jul 4, 2012

If you drop down to the family plan fees will look like this:

Keeping 1 HR24:

Family $29.99
    Advanced receiver $20.00 (HD Access $10 + DVR Service $8 if you signed up before the change.)
    Primary TV Fee: $6.00
    Primary TV Credit: ($6.00) - Your first receiver is free

Keeping 1 H24:

Family $29.99
    HD Access $10
    Primary TV Fee: $6.00
    Primary TV Credit: ($6.00) - Your first receiver is free

Any other discounts will fall off with the exception of HD for life, I can't recall if that had any base package requirements outside of the need to retain Auto Bill Pay. To find out for sure call DirecTV, ask for tech support, and have them input the changes into the system, but not actually confirm them. The system will then calculate the new monthly costs before taxes, and will tell the agent what discounts fall off if the changes are made. Also this month the price increases will take effect. DVR service raises to $10, and the Advanced Receiver line item raises to $25 depending on when you signed up.

Hope that helps

4. Feb 4, 2013 #4 of 20
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    HD for life would drop off.

5. Feb 4, 2013 #5 of 20
    StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    But what if I don' t want HD. Can I send them back my receivers for a D12? If so how much will they penalize me? I basically want to cancel but can't afford to pay the huge cancel fee all at once. By going to family I can pay $30 till my contract is up. Receiver probably wont be hooked up to a tv. It will just be sitting on a shelf.

6. Feb 4, 2013 #6 of 20
    luckydob

luckydob Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    New receiver, new 2 year contract....typically.

7. Feb 4, 2013 #7 of 20
    StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    Ok well I have 2 old D10 receivers in my basement. Maybe I can get them to just transfer service to one of them.

8. Feb 4, 2013 #8 of 20
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    If the receiver won't even actually be used, why not just pay the ETF of $20/month and be done with it?

And as others have said, with 4 TVs you should consider 2H+2J with Dish.

9. Feb 4, 2013 #9 of 20
    StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    Because they want the entire cancel fee all at once. Id I drop to family I can just pay $30 a month till I am out if contract. I have a little over a year to go. I know it is $10 more than just canceling but I don't have the full cancel amt.

10. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Suspend your account for 6 months, and save up the ETF in the mean time, it will end up saving you money.

If you have 12 months left your ETF will be $240. If you can't pay $240 today you can suspend your account for 6 months and save up the $240 over those 6 months. Then in 6 months call and cancel your account. You will still be cancelling with 12 months left in your contract so it will still cost you $240.

Otherwise if you pay $30/month for the remaining 12 months you are going to end up spending $360. And that's if they will let you activate one of the D10s, if they don't they you are going to have to pay $40/month and you end up paying $480.

Or you could just have them put the ETF on a credit card and pay off the credit card over time. The interest on $240 should only be like $4 a month, so you're only paying about $24/month instead of $30 or $40.

11. StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    That is a good idea. Thanks!

12. ken100

ken100 AllStar

Feb 1, 2013
    Just curious, why would anyone have the protection plan? It only covers wiring in your home. It's just wiring you could simply replace yourself. I have never been charged for a house visit to fix an issue, only had one since 1996 and it was my wiring. It was easy to get to and he fixed it and didn't charge for it and I have never had any sort of protection plan.

13. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    The protection plan covers all equipment out of warranty(outside of certain "Acts of God", not just the wiring in the home.

You should be able to activate the D10. At that point, removing the other receivers would have you at $30 a months. I would agree with Beerstalker though. Suspending the account and saving for the cancellation fee would be more cost effective. When does your agreement end? If you don't know, let us know when you started service.

14. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    And Protection Plan Premier covers even more! I have a $1300 Macbook with liquid damage being repaired right now. If you have multiple flat screens, laptops computers, etc.. Premier should be a no brainer.

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Soon will offer free upgrades outside of Texas.

16. StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    Will I still be able to watch the shows on the DVR while the account is suspended?

17. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Nope.

18. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    will the free upgrades be lock in free? as right now some subs can get free upgrades out side of TX.

Or is it a way to start to chip away at the subs with old SD boxes.

19. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Accounts, based on market and eligibility, get offers or promotions for many reasons. The Protection Plan upgrade is a guaranteed upgrade every 18 - 24 months at no cost, similar to cell phone providers. I believe it will be largely used to help with projected costs and, like you started to say, keeping equipment up to date. Letting people know they get an upgrade at a certain time would alleviate the guess work of when people may do their upgrades. It probably helps keep people in contract too...

20. jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey Legend

Feb 28, 2008
    SD receivers have a 1 year contract not 2. And yes you can "trade in" a HD receiver for a SD receiver (but D* will be confused as to why you would do that)...they'll probably charge you $69 for the SD receiver
    I guess it depends on how much of a contract you have left.