1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What to expect with a new install and a few other questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by mason139, Aug 15, 2011.

1. mason139

mason139 New Member

Aug 15, 2011
    We are getting a new Direct system installed in the next few weeks.
    We are looking at 2 HD-DVR's and 2 HD receivers, Choice Ultimate package, and the Whole Home DVR service.

After reading up on a few different threads, I am confused with the whole DECA thing. Is one DECA needed for the whole home on the main receiver, or does each receiver in the house need a deca installed? Also reading that the new SWiM system requires a higher voltage to operate and has to have a power inserter, where is the best place to have the PI installed?

Also our home has recently had the RG6 wiring in the attic upgraded to carry HD signals and cable internet to the modem. When Direct comes to install the dish, with they use the existing wiring in the attic or run new lines on the exterior of the house.

I know a bunch of y'all are going to laugh at these simple questions, but bare with us Direct noobs! :p

2. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Each Receiver and the Router needs a DECA. DECA are built into H24 & H25, as well as the HR24.

Point out the cabling to the tech that comes to you home.

3. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    The power inserter will be installed indoors, next to one of your D* boxes...

4. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Since fellow members have answered you I might suggest as soon as the installer arrives kindly ask him to tell you about the overall install. Work in the same questions you asked in your post. This will reveal his skill level and attitude. If possible go with him to the various areas of your home. We were robbed by a non-DirecTV installer so I'm a bit paranoid. If you face any real difficulties contact his supervisor or DTV.

During my last hardware upgrade the first tech was not authorized to install the AM21N (I'm handicapped.). The second did not know how to install wireless devices. The third was great.

Good Luck.

5. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I always ask Directv to have the Installer's Dispatcher to call me prior to dispatching an installer to come to my house and I then discuss exactly what I want and what I am trying to accomplish so they will send someone who is knowledgeable and experienced and brings everything that he will need.