1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to reasonably hope for?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sr6376, Nov 21, 2008.

1. sr6376

sr6376 AllStar

Sep 18, 2007
    My contract is up in 2 weeks and I have 3 HDTV's in the house. I have one H21 box, with the other two being standard def boxes. I would like to get an HD-DVR and a second HD or possibly another HD-DVR box. What are the chances of getting the both of these w/ a total out of pocket cost under $100? Are they really stamping out the deals for equipment?

2. rhambling

rhambling Godfather

Dec 19, 2007
    just call and talk to the csr nicely. if they say no, ask for retention.

3. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    I would call the first line CSR a few times to try and get the deal you want, and then if not satisfied, escalate your call to the retention dept.

4. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I would too, sometimes it works and keeps retention out of it.

5. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I called and got a totally free upgrade of my H10. No threats, no having to ask for a manager or supervisor, just one call. The only problem I had was that I specifically asked for a receiver with OTA and they initially said "no problem". Unfortunately two days later I got an H21. I called and asked about the OTA capability and they said "oops" and had me send it back at their expense. Two days later I got an HR20. Called again and they said "oops" but if you like it just keep it. Already had an HD DVR so no additional DVR fees so why not. I was a bit put out with the hassle but the end result was pretty good and free.

6. sr6376

sr6376 AllStar

Sep 18, 2007
    Well, atleast a decent deal. They are sending me an HD-DVR at no charge, would be a full $100 charge for the HD second box but that's alot better than the $400 that the standard customer service offered.

7. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    Yeah, I think you got a reasonable deal. Being nice, and being patient usually wins.
    Good Job.

HD-DVR's are fantastic devices. Welcome into the light! ;)
    :)