1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of lnb do I have? I need 2 HD dvrs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by gowlover, Dec 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. gowlover

gowlover New Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Ok it is the oval dish and has what looks like 3 lnbs. There are 4 lines coming from the dish. 2 of them were going to the hddvr in the LR and the other 2 were going to s small 4way multiswitch. From there I had 2 basic boxes. I bought a new HDDVR to replace 1 of the boxes and a regular DVR to replace the other. I couldnt get all of the channels to work on my HDDRV so I ran 2 new lines from the 4way outside into the attic and into my bedroom. Still not getting all the channels. SO then I took out the 4way multi switch and bam its working great. Only problem is the other 2 rooms will not work now because Im using both lines now. SO I need to get my other regular box and regular DVR hooked back up. I am assuming I need a bigger multi switch?

SO basically I have 2 hddvrsd working now but need in total I need to have:

2 HDDVRS, Reg DVR, Regular box and possibly another regular box for another room.

What I have outside:

Oval dish with what looks like 3lnb with 4 lines coming from it--2 lines going to hddvr downstairs and 2 lines going to hddvr upstairs.

What do you think?

2. Tech_1438

Tech_1438 Legend

Jun 1, 2008
    I will assume you have a SlimLine 5 LNB Dish, pic provided below.

You will need all four lines from the SlimLine 5 LNB dish, fed to a Zinwell 6x8 KA multiswitch (WB68 or equivalent). This will provide 8 outputs, 2 each for the DVRs, with 2 remaining outputs for your "regular" IRDs.

Good Luck!!

Attached Files:

3. gowlover

gowlover New Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Awesome thats what I thougth! Just wanted to make sure I was going to do it right! Thanks so much!

Also when I get that switch what would I need to get to combine 2 lines to 1 as the reg dvr has only one line in that room and not sure if I feel like running another. ;D

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    There is no way to combine two lines into one. With your current dish you must have one cable for each DVR tuner. You could investigate swapping to a Single Wire Multiswitch dish/LNB assembly, but that's extra work, too.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    However you can run a DVR with only one tuner active, if running another coax is out of the question. You just won't be able to watch something live while recording a different show, or record two shows at once.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Just a note on the swm option...

If you upgrade your regular dvr, to an hd one, then you could use a swm8... You would need to probably upgrade to all hd units if you want to use an swmlnb assembly...

swm only works with newer units....

7. SHROP

SHROP New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    non HD receivers depending on the model ARE swm compatible, D-12's and R-16's and up are compatible. Anything else can be run off the swm expander's legacy ports.