1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What will Dish do to keep up with Direct Tv

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tomcrown1, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    With direct TV adding new channels on a weekly bases what will Dish do to keep up?

In the new ads comming out from Direct TV they state that Direct Tv has more Hd and more standard programs then Dish at better rates.

The only thing that I can think of to put Dish ahead, is by producing a super dipper ultra Receiver that cooks your meal drives your car and become the all around hyper super handy man.

Will Dish at least come out with a new receiver that produces the best SD and HD picture on the market??

What will Dish do to compete with Direct TV new hype about being the Best Pay Tv provider bar none.

2. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    At this point, the only thing they can do is add more channels and increase HD capacity.

They better hurry up, D* already has surpassed them.

3. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    I have the basic AT100 package (plus locals) and two DVR receivers (721 and 508). It would cost me money to switch to Direct...it always has. It depends on what you get as to whether it is more or less......historically E* has been a better value, but it depends on what channels/packages you buy.

4. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I expect that dish is planning on dding new channels. From what I've heard they have the capacity to do so. My belief is tha they are not going out and just add any old HD channel these days. Back when there were so few HD channels they would have jumped at new content. Those days are gone. I'm guessing that the negotiations are ongoing as I type this.

There is a simple reason DirecTV is adding so many channels on a weekly basis.
    For well over a year they haven't been able to add any new HD and have been way behind Dishnetwork and some cable companies. They were so out of room that to have the NL Sunday ticket they had to resort to pulling other channels to make room for the games. Now that they have a new satellite up they have room to add channels. Sadly the New satellite seems to be slightly damaged with regards to spot beams. Fortunately not to the Continental Beams.

Note: many satellites seem to have some damage that renders them less than 100% and still they do the job. Dishnetwork has problems too.

If DirecTV had lost the satellite during launch then things would have been different.

Bottom line If having had more HD for over a year on E* makes you want to jump over to D* for what may or may not be a temporary higher channel count and live with the HR-20 instead of a much better DVR the VIP722 then you should.

Keep in mind that with two providers once you have subscribed to both you can never get new subscriber deals again.

5. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    I suspect that Dish will close it's doors and all of our receivers will go black next week.:new_Eyecr

6. compubit

compubit AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 8, 2004
    My question is:

How many of the HD channels the DirecTV is putting up are true HD feeds, and not upconverted SD Feeds?

Do all of these channels "all of a sudden" have an HD feed only on DirecTV and no place else???

Some we are aware of, but others???

Jim

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The latest RSNs are suspect. FSN is only producing pregame, postgame and game HD coverage for those channels yet there seems to be content there 24x7. Either FSN is wasting transponder space by carrying an upconvert feed 24x7 that only D* (and possibly local cable) is using or D* is performing the upconvert and switching in the game only feeds when they become available.

Getting an honest non-violent answer from a D* customer about the RSNs would be nice. Is there other content besides pre/post/game coverage in HD? Or does the feed sit as an upconvert most of the week with only the occasional HD interruption? The honest answer would be actually SEEING other HD content on the channels, not just assuming that something else would be in HD.

The other channels are likely just starting their HD feeds. There has been enough advertising on CNN and TWC with their own HD logos that there is no question that the source is sending out HD. I'm not saying that 99% of the content seen on any of these particular new channels isn't SD source ... just that the upconversion is likely being done at the source, not by D* directly.

It is time for channels to start broadcasting in HD. The major networks have had HD primetime shows for years and are adding more HD hours every season. TV syndication is going HD now ... and people are expecting to see something called HD on their sets.

In some ways these cable channels are behind the curve on getting their HD channels up. They were just waiting for a platform. Now that D* has joined cable and E*as HD distributors there are more places to send those channels. Even if most of the programming day is upconvert ... it is time for these channels to join the HD crowd.

8. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    I have SNY HD and YES HD as 24/7 channels with Verizon. YES outside of Yankees and Nets games has very little HD content. However, YES provides all home and away games in HD for both the Yankees and Nets. SNY has a live sports news studio show from 6th Avenue in NY, that is on a few times a day in HD. It is a good show for NY fans. It also has Jets pre and post game news shows in HD. Right now SNY has a news show on in HD and YES has Yankeeography in SD.
    The only HD games SNY has is generally Mets home games.

9. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
    Sell to AT&T?

10. pdxsam

pdxsam Godfather

Jun 19, 2004

Careful. Dancing with the Devil you know is better than the one you don't know. AT&T may buy the company and work like Verizon Fios does. Look at how slow they are to add more HD content.

There's no magic wand to all of this. We as customers are at the whim of whoever is at the helm of our service provider. What THEY think is the best strategy doesn't seem to always fit in with what the customers truly want.

11. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Where's your info from?

12. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

Most of the new channels have at least some HD content, and some are close to 100% HD.

MGM is 100% HD movies, while MHD is 100% HD music programming. Smithsonian is nearly 100% HD content. Big Ten and TBS have plenty of HD sports programming. And I've watched a lot of HD stuff on USA - L&O:CI & SVU, Life, and episodes of some other network shows. SciFi has Stargate:Atlantis, Flash Gordon, and will soon have new episodes of Battlestar Galactica. History has been showing the Mega Disasters series. FX has "Damages", including a marathon this weekend of the entire season. The new premiums are close to 100% HD. In all, there is a lot more HD content than I have time to watch. The notion that these new channels don't have much HD content simply isn't true.

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    D* mentioned it in an investor's relations or press release ... They said the problem would not affect their plan to launch up to 100 HD channels.

14. bairdjc

bairdjc Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    :lol: I understand James' frustration as I read much of the D* HD thread yesterday - wow those people are testy when it comes to asking questions about their service!

Anyway, I'm not fretting. Why? Well we can argue about channel counts and such all day long, but the bottom line is that this is a leapfrog game. E* was in the lead for awhile, now D* has jumped ahead. For me, it's simply not worth the hassle to try and switch to D* just because they might have a slightly better HD package right now. Given time, E* will add more content because they have to - it's not a question of IF but WHEN.

Also, I agree with many others' concerns about the true quality of the HD being delivered. This kinda goes into channel counting, but if you have, say, History HD - although I haven't watched it much, I do know that I've never seen true HD on it (and it's pretty easy to tell). The upconverted SD definately does look better than the regular SD channel, but it's far inferior to true HD. SO, does that channel count as "HD"? Furthermore, do all the part-time programming channels (like the RSN's) count as "channels" if they're only on a couple times a week?

Lastly, I'm tired of people saying "oh well E* doesn't have so many HD channels because the Voom channels are garbage" (or etc.). Say what you will about Voom - it's mostly educational stuff and sure I wouldn't want to watch it all day long, but it's ALWAYS HD, unlike much of D*'s (and E*'s existing) lineup which is HD 10% of the day if that. Also - we all have channels we never watch but are a treasure to others! Personally, all those stupid BTN channels (part time RSNs, really) I couldn't care less about. The same goes for the HDPPV, Food network, etc etc. However I DO realize that there are some people out there that DO like these networks. Plain and simple.... not everyone is going to like every channel.

15. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=98837
    My information as to that is in the second paragraph. Note that this link is from this site. "it appears that a portion of the anticipated spot-beam capability may not be fully available" In short National HD = OK. Spot Beam = Problematic as I read it.

"DIRECTV 10 In-Orbit Testing Underway

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 14, 2007--The DIRECTV 10 satellite, launched on July 6, 2007, has been successfully placed in geo-synchronous orbit and is currently undergoing in-orbit testing. The testing process has confirmed that the satellite is fully functional to deliver all planned nationwide HD programming. This will enable DIRECTV to deliver up to 100 HD channels nationwide by year-end.

The DIRECTV 10 satellite's transponder payload also includes spot-beam capacity that will support the expansion of DIRECTV's local HD channel services. While testing of DIRECTV 10's capability continues, it appears that a portion of the anticipated spot-beam capability may not be fully available. The investigation to determine the cause of the reduced capability and potential means to mitigate its effect is on-going. However, we currently believe our planned expansion of HD local programming as previously announced will not be materially affected."

Hope that satisfies your curiousity?

Cheers

16. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I was a longtime E* sub and am now with D*.

I didn't know I wanted HD when I signed up with D* a year ago, but when I got my first HDTV, I had no trouble in acknowledging that E* was the HD leader. It was obvious. But I stuck with D* because I like the company a lot better and subscribe to Sunday Ticket. And they gave me lots of hardware!

Now, with the number of channels pretty close, D* has added HD channels that correspond to the most-watched SD channels. Surely USA Network alone has 1000 viewers for every 1 viewer that Voom has. It is hard to see how anyone can objectively say that D* is not now the leader.

I wish D* would get Voom and would personally trade several channels just for "Kung Fu" and "Monsters." However, I am used to being eccentric. I think that for most viewers, D* is the HD leader because D* has more of the channels that most people want. The ball is in Charlie's court to change that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.