1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What will NBC do?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by islesfan, Apr 16, 2007.

1. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    If the Penguins are eliminated, will there be no more HD games on the Nothing But Crosby network?

I have yet to see the Nothing But Crosby network show a game in HD that did not involve the Pens. Look at the Flames v. Wings game. No Sid, no HD. This is ridiculous! They dropped the biggest game of the season (TSN ratings records) with the Isles v. Devils on the last day, just so they could show a meaningless Pens game.

Crosby is an awesome player, with great charisma and entertainment value, but it sells the game short when Iginla, Ovechkin, DiPietro, et al are forgotten.

2. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I heard Bill Clement on XM204 (a fantastic channel, by the way!) say that their ratings for Crosby are much higher than non-Crosby games.

Profit speaks, islesfan, profit speaks.

(Sorry, but GO SABRES!)

3. wmschultz

wmschultz DBSTalk Club Member DBSTalk Club

Jul 18, 2006
    I concur..........GO SABRES.

4. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    And then you have people like me who'd sooner have their eyes gouged out than watch hockey. :lol: It's tough being a fan's fan of <name that team and name that sport>. One often finds themselves a part of a tiny minority in the overall scheme of things, and it does not pay for the broadcaster to pander to them.

5. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I didn't even know Hockey was still on TV

6. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    That's okay. We didn't know they had TVs in New Orleans! :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I am waiting for the Rangers-Thrashers series to be on in HD somewhere.. all NBC does is put on the Pens, like you say.

8. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    [​IMG]

9. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Game 2 of the Flames/Wings series was in HD OTA in Buffalo on Sunday.

10. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    You're just jealous you don't have chocolate TV's

11. Bugs Bunny

Bugs Bunny Mentor

Jan 14, 2007
    The Flames/Wings game 2 was in HD. But your point is well taken. ABC/ESPN was more balanced in their coverage. Heck even Fox was better despite their "glowing" puck.

12. dkgoalie

dkgoalie Mentor

Jan 10, 2007

The Flames / Wings game was in HD here in Indy.

Go Sabres!

sabres%20logo-thumb.gif

13. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    HUH? Flames/Wings on Sunday was in glorious HD via my local NBC.

Following the rants about NBC on AVS it seems that many local NBC affilitates are not passing the HD signal of hockey games even when available. Even the affilitate in Chicago is not passing HD. Luckily my local NBC actually cares about HD and it is a priority for them. Their only downfall is having 2 subchannels which degrades the HD quality quite a bit.

I agree with you on Crosby network. But the only time I watch NBC is if the Wings are on it. Could care less about any other teams.

14. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    With everyone who saw the Wings/Flames game in HD, was that OTA? I don't have OTA access where I live, so I have to use D*'s feed. I'm wondering if D* downgraded the signal or if NBC Reno did it? (This makes little sense, however, as they recently carried a Sharks game in SD as well, and the Sharks are the local team.)

15. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    In general, this is true, but in some circumstances, it is not. With or without Crosby, the season finale between the Devils and Isles, which determined the last playoff birth, and set ratings records on TSN, was passed over in favor of a Pens/Bruins game.

The problem is not simply one of profit, but one of marketing, as the NHL has a crappy deal with NBC. They get the same deal that the Arena Football league or the National Lacrosse League gets. That is, the NHL pays NBC to broadcast, and the NHL gets a cut of the revenues. Therefore, the NHL has decided to market Sidney Crosby to the hilt, which is a good idea, but also to ignore the other young, marketable stars of the league. Typical, short-sighted marketing that has hurt the league for years! If you only care about the Penguins, as a league, how are you going to develop a market in Nashville? STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!

16. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    Why would they not bother passing on the HD stream? Is there some cost issue here?

17. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    As I have posted in the past. You may as well watch any sports in SD as poor as NBC does HD sports. Horrible

18. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Hell Yeah.........

19. thumperr

thumperr Godfather

Feb 10, 2006
    Lets Go Pens!!!!!

20. thumperr

thumperr Godfather

Feb 10, 2006
    The pens final game of the season was against the Rangers.