1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What wiring setup will I need?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by MattScahum, Mar 3, 2013.

1. MattScahum

MattScahum Legend

Oct 26, 2010
    I currently have 5tvs, 4 hd receivers and 1 hd dvr. I am moving to a new location and I will be prewiring for 6 rooms and adding either.a genie.ir another hd dvr. Currently have 1 wire to each tv and I need to know what I will need when wiring the home in the next 2 weeks or so. Any help will be greatly appreciated

2. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    For DirecTV, I would run Ethernet to the location where the Genie will be. This way you can connect to the Internet hard-wired, rather than wirelessly.

That having been said, since so many other components can now be networked, I would run Cat-6 to everywhere that I would expect to have any electronic equipment.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You need 4 wires from the dish location to where main distribution point is. from here you need on coax cable to every room you want a DirecTV receiver. You can either run coax to modem/gateway location to connect the CCK there or run ethernet to the Genie location to connect directly. Don't forget to pass the wires from the dish through your electrical house ground

4. ryanh9992

ryanh9992 Cool Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Your best bet is a SWM system especially with the HDDVR, one line everywhere you go. It will also allow you to move your equipment around if needed. And like the prior posts keep the internet hard wired.

5. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    My suggestion, is four wires from the roof to the distribution point for your cables (functions nicely with a SWM LNB and enough cables for a SWM-16 or even a E* system) then two RG-6 lines from that point to each room, as well as two CAT-6 lines to each room. Keep one RG-6 line hidden away if you want.
    My reasoning for having two is this will give you future expandability (yes D* only needs one but who knows what you'll want to do in the future) and it can also be a selling point years down the road. Plus cable is cheap, and it's easier to wire everything at once then go back later and do it.

6. MattScahum

MattScahum Legend

Oct 26, 2010
    Thank you for the responses. I already took care of ethernet access in all necessary rooms. I was just unsure of amount of coax to dish location. I assumed if I only added a 2nd hddvr I would keep my swm the way it was since that would be 8 tuners. The genie is what threw me so glad my thinking was correct

7. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    We currently have 3 RG6 lines ran to each room. One for Directv, One for OTA and the 3rd for Comcast. We have basic cable mainly for the cable modem, a few local access channels and a very few that Directv does not have.