1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What works best with our DVRs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by njmurvin, May 21, 2009.

1. njmurvin

njmurvin Legend

Oct 17, 2006
    Slingbox Pro-HD, Hava Platinum HD or DirectvToPc?

My primary objective is to watch in the kitchen where there is no cable nor a reasonable means to get one there. I was using a device (RF Link wireless A/V sender), but it doesn't work very well. I have a laptop in the kitchen and wireless in the house. So, I've decided to go with one of the above.

What's best and why? For the record, I'm leaning toward Slingbox or Hava because I want to be able to change channels on the live feed. Being able to watch over the internet is cool, but wouldn't be used that much (maybe just on my iPhone to impress friends - LOL).

2. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    If you want live TV, I would go with the Slingbox or Hava. I have both, you can't really go wrong with either.

3. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    If your Laptop is capable of displaying HD content then I would go with the Slingbox PRO HD which I just installed today after my last box had a bad ethernet port and was replaced by BestBuy which I just installed and it works great.

I also have the Slingbox AV which is SD and not HD and works great on my Laptop which does not support HD display but works okay with SD content.

4. njmurvin

njmurvin Legend

Oct 17, 2006
    If no huge advantage of one over the other, I might just go with the less expensive Hava. Plus it comes with wireless capability. They're coming out with wireless n. And, there may be a way to get iPhone support over 3G with it. I'm looking into that.

5. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I have a Hava. It accepts an HD input, 720p or 1080i, but it down res's to 480. You can record with it. The 480 image looks suprisingly good. It is as good or better than DVD quality.