1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What would be the boolean search to find horror movies?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by philmalik, Oct 19, 2010.

1. philmalik

philmalik Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    With Halloween around the bend, I tried to do a search on "horror" category on movies.

At first I tried to do the "guide options" way, but with quite a few horror movies on PPV, it was taking forever.

I´m looking to do a search on horror movies that are not PPV

Something like AALL movies NNOT PPV category = horror, (or something like that)

Thanks in advance.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Look for something in common on the descriptions on Chiller.

Or try AALL horror movie CCHAN 202 599

THat will get you all horror movies and skip the PPV channels.

3. RBTO

RBTO Legend

Apr 11, 2009
    This brings up a question. Where would I look for more information on Boolean searches? This is the first I heard about being able to perform one and I would like to know more.

4. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Good place to start: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=132971

Hint: found by doing a forum search for boolean

5. philmalik

philmalik Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    There's no keyword for "category" is there? Like TTITLE, etc? Haven't had a chance to try the suggested boolean search yet but I would think you need to put cateogry in there somewhere.

6. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    if you use AALL HORROR MOVIE (assuming you just want movies) then it will search the entire listing for the word HORROR and MOVIE. This will accomplish what you want.

7. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Also, after you set up the boolean, you can add the category on the following screens, just like all other searches.

8. philmalik

philmalik Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    Drummer Boy recommendation worked, and I threw on a NNOT PPV at the end for good measure. thanks

DogLover, what do you mean by "add the category to the following screens"?

9. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    When you press the red button to activate a keyword search, you get screens asking you to limit the search by certain categories and subcategories. You have movies with subcategories of different genres, you have sports with subcategories of different sports, etc.