1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by motovet, Feb 11, 2009.

1. motovet

motovet AllStar

Feb 8, 2009
    Currently I have a 5 LNB Slimline with four lines running underground to the house. Underground because a pole was the only option with all the trees. Dish to the house is about 40', and the longest total run is 100' Anyway I am running three DVR's with two only getting one coax. I would also like to run another line to our fifth wheel that is probably a total of 150' from the dish. I see there are options with the new SWM technology, and or, splitters. So what would you do?

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I would do a SWMLine LNB personally or a SWM8 module if that would be easier depending on how your wiring inside is. (SWMline LNB would replace LNB on dish so you would just use one line from the Dish to the inside where there would be a Power Inserter, then from there into a splitter and out to the receivers. SWM8 would use the 4 lines where they enter the house and then have 1 or 2 SWM outputs one of which would go to the Power Inserter then on to the receivers and the other could go directly to the receiver(s))

That is of course as long as you do not plan to have more than 8 tuners (4 DVRs).

SWM8 wiring example for 4 DVRs with one splitter:
    http://www.swm8.com/3-4DVR-SWM1-1SPLIT.pdf

Other examples:
    http://www.swm8.com/swm-wiring-examples.php

The SWMLine LNB would be similar, just instead of 4 lines from the Dish and a separate module, the SWMLine LNB would be one line from the dish directly into the power inserter.

One benefit of the SWM8 is that it works with legacy equipment as well since it has 3 legacy outputs.

3. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    The four lines you currently have could go into a wb68 multiswitch that would be near the cable entry area. Then the additional lines could be added and run the the receivers.

RE the additional long run..........is a second dish possible? If thais to a fifth wheel trailer an non penetrating roof mount on the ground could work and you could take it along on trips.

The SWM stuff could be used but I don't see it as helping much unless the second cable runs are difficult..........that is what the SWM stuff is for.

Joe

4. motovet

motovet AllStar

Feb 8, 2009
    The current dish location is the only spot on our entire property that has a shot at the satellites....many trees. The run to the Rv is not a big deal, but sometimes used as an extra room for family visits. Would either SWM option be better than the other for the longer run to the RV?
    The road set up is another upgrade I will make soon. I'm thinking of getting a SL3 slimline soon for that. Just finished putting a 37" Samsung LCD upgrade in the fiver.

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    With temperature problems showing up on the SWM LNB I would suggest the SWM8 Module especially with the buried cables already there. You haven't listed what model receivers you have but the Legacy capability may also be helpful.

6. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I'd go with the SWM-8. So far few people are reporting trouble using this method and personally I think it's the most flexible approach. Certainly is easy to install.

7. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I would agree, SWM8 would be my choice.

8. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Grentz,

Is there any good source for availability on the SWM stuff, esp the SWM8.
    I chat up current HSP techs around here and they do not know about which I speak. I swap tech info for map reading skills.

One plus; as the legacy eq goes out of service it will be gone. New stuff will replace it so new folks will not need to know much about the earliest eq to be effective.

Joe

9. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Well you can just find the stuff online from places like TechToolSupply, SolidSignal, or even eBay. Since he is really retrofitting an already installed system he should not have to worry about working with installers/Directv as long as he is comfortable doing it himself.

At this point and time no installers will have the SWM8 as it is not setup for residential use, although Tom has said it might be brought over the residential use in the future for people that need more than the 8 tuners the current SWMLNB's can provide (the SWM8's can be stacked to provide as many as needed).

IMO the price is well worth it. The only way I could add a second HD-DVR with dual tuners was with SWM technology as there was no way to bring in another coax without ripping up floor boards and walls (not gonna happen!).

10. motovet

motovet AllStar

Feb 8, 2009
    SWM8 it is....thanks guys. Best place to purchase? I'll likely get the SL3 for traveling at the same time. Also I plan on getting tools and cable to do it myself this time. Anyone sell twin RG6 by the foot for my fifth wheel set up?

11. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Get a catalog from Skywalker.com . Blue Jean Cable also gets good reviews.
    For hard to get fittings ets I use Centronics (expensive but they have it)

Twin cable by the foot = find a tech at a 7-11 and buy him s coffee. Five hundred ft = about $70.00.

One of the contributors on here also sells cable in special set ups.....I'll PM if I find it...........NY guy.

Joe

12. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I bought mine off of eBay. Got the SWM-8, PI, and a 4-way SWS splitter for around $130 with shipping and handling. Didn't need any other pieces or parts as I put it in a place that the original home owner put a Zinwell so it was pretty much a plug and play install for me.

13. motovet

motovet AllStar

Feb 8, 2009
    Thanks all. I need 100' of the dual stuff.

14. motovet

motovet AllStar

Feb 8, 2009
    Twin cable by the foot = find a tech at a 7-11 and buy him s coffee. Five hundred ft = about $70.00.
    Actualy how I got some a while back....all used up though.

15. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
  16. motovet

motovet AllStar

Feb 8, 2009
    Thanks

17. motovet

motovet AllStar

Feb 8, 2009
    Late night e-bay shopping. Got everything I need for the house and the fifth wheel installs. Now just need some good cable tools, some RG6, and some dual line RG6.

18. motovet

motovet AllStar

Feb 8, 2009
    I'm going 65' to the SWM8, and the farthest from the splitter will be 65' more. That's fine....right?

19. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I ran over 100' to PI and splitters (8way split) and 20 to 150' after splitter with no problems for a year..
    Still run 70' to PI and 150' after..
    With good cables and connectors SWM will go a long way with no problems..

20. motovet

motovet AllStar

Feb 8, 2009
    Excellent. With that in mind I can also run some new lines on our vacation property which is more or less a big RV park for now.

I need some fittings and tools now. Home Depot ones OK? Also best fittings for our wet weather