1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What's Directv plans for Internationals ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by slimoli, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1 of 26
    slimoli

slimoli Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    Is Directv planning to discontinue more internationals after announcing the end of the Polish Package ? The requirement for the big dish is probably a big reason why most foreigns go with Dish. I hope they move all internationals to the 110 or 119 after D12 is up and running, this will make installation much easier and I bet people who speak Chinese or Portuguese also want the American HD programs. Keeping the 2 dishes is a bad strategy, IMO.

2. Feb 2, 2010 #2 of 26
    beachmonkey

beachmonkey Legend

Jan 16, 2010
    I would like to see some channels from Australia and New Zealand appear but I doubt it happens. I'd pay for it too.

3. Feb 2, 2010 #3 of 26
    trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    When I was in Australia last year, most of the TV programming I saw originated in the U.S. or the U.K. anyway, so I'd be surprised if they could bring any Australian channels directly to the U.S. Even the ABC, the big noncommercial broadcaster that does have primarily Australian programming, carries a few shows that someone else owns the American rights to -- I see both "The Colbert Report" and "Life on Mars" (looks like the British version) on their schedule.

My favorite bit of Australian TV scheduling: one channel had a "Simpsons" rerun weeknights at 5:55, and another channel had a "Simpsons" rerun weeknights at 6:00. So if you didn't like the first 5 minutes of the 5:55 episode, you could flip and not miss any of the 6:00 episode. :D

4. Feb 2, 2010 #4 of 26
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    All Dish international customers are being installed with the "Plus" dishes (500+ or 1000+), which are about the same size as the World Direct dish, so dish size isn't really a factor.

While it is pure speculation, I've suggested for well over a year that the internationals will likely end up being moved to 110/119, so that most folks will have a one-dish solution.

5. Feb 2, 2010 #5 of 26
    slimoli

slimoli Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    It's not only the size, it's the fact that 2 dishes are required. Most foreigns speak English (or sort of) and want to watch American channels as well. As you say, the "one dish solution" would be ideal.

6. Feb 2, 2010 #6 of 26
    pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    The upcoming Africa Channel should feature lots of English-language South African content.

7. Feb 3, 2010 #7 of 26
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    The main provider for international programming is Dish so it's harder to compete with them since they bought out the company that was providing it to most of the providers. DirecTV probably knows they can't compete price wise so they keep the majority of the programming they can get from other people and the higher % of popularity for international packages.

The ODU has nothing to do with it. It's all about economics.

8. Mar 7, 2010 #8 of 26
    N9QZD

N9QZD Cool Member

Feb 24, 2010
    I recently received this reply from D* regarding international programing:

(This is only part of the reply from D*)

"I'm excited to hear about your interest in our international packages. We offer several international channels, including Vietnamese Direct, Seoul Broadcasting System (Korean), HindiDirect, Aastha TV (Indian), PolishDirect, and RussianDirect. We have also added channels from Brazil, the Ukraine, Greece, and the Caribbean, as well as South Asia and the Philippines. Over the course of the next several months, we expect to begin carrying international programming in German, Japanese and French."

I think some of the information may be out of date, as I thought I read that Polish was discontinued. Anyone care to comment. I like the idea of additional programing as I am interested in other cultures. I like watching English subtitled programs.

-Pete

9. Mar 7, 2010 #9 of 26
    Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf Icon

Oct 26, 2005
    They should add TV5 and RAI. There is a big French or Italian speaking community in this country.

10. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    Wonder if they'd ever add something from Japan. I'm taking Japanese in college and it would be nice if I could see some Japanese stuff other than the animes I download from on demand...

11. N9QZD

N9QZD Cool Member

Feb 24, 2010
    According to the email from the csr, French, German, and Japan are in the works. My guess is it has something to do with D12 and making room on other sats. Probably 110 or 119.

12. bones boy

bones boy Godfather

Aug 25, 2007
    In the last few years DTV has been quick to cancel channels with low sign ups, like Carribean Channel, HYPE TV, and others. My thought is they appear to be focusing on the popular ones (read: moneymakers) like Chinese, Korean, Filipino and Indian.

That email received above from a CSR is canned and old. There are no Carribean-sourced channels on DTV.

While I would really enjoy an African channel, I don't think we'll ever see it on DTV. Just not enough sign-ups to justify the cost/bandwidth. Dish has a placeholder for it on their site.

13. CKNAV

CKNAV Godfather

Dec 26, 2005
    They had Italian package and they canceled it, just like Polish package.

14. oenophile

oenophile Godfather

Dec 1, 2006
    Northern...
    Is this confirmed by any other source other than the above? Would love to know French was on its way for certain.

15. FCBarca

FCBarca Cool Member

Apr 13, 2006
    TV5 is long overdue

16. nightrider

nightrider Legend

Jan 6, 2005
    they had a italian package but all it was news 24 hours ,, i think they should add a package of teletino canada , rai , and alot of folks would be happy , i no here in ny alot of italians have dishnet because they got better italian programming

17. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    We subscribe to one of the Filipino packages, but at $24.99, find it isn't worthwhile to keep for the whole month, so we keep it for 2 weeks at a time, then cancel. Another 2 or 3 weeks passes, and we sign up again. Way better than paying for the whole month. And never a penalty....

18. KNPKH2ster

KNPKH2ster Mentor

Apr 3, 2010
    Speaking of Indian channels, I hope one day that D* adds Zee TV and Sony to their lineup. If they do it one day, that could be good for business. I know that there is Zee TV on DirecTV but thats only available outside the USA. (Yes D* is also in Latin America)

Come on D*, don't leave your USA viewers hanging.

19. oenophile

oenophile Godfather

Dec 1, 2006
    Northern...
    Shame that TV5 (French language) is still not offered. And that D* has virtually no foreign language programming (other than Spanish & Jadeworld). Dish and most cable networks have it, now.

20. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    My wife was Japanese and we had to carry basic on Dish Network to get NHK from TV Japan. Dish has far more international programming than Directv. Directv has more sports, that's just the way it is.