1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's going on???

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by juan ellitinez, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 3, 2005 #1 of 19
    juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    What's up with E*?? First they add the NFL channel with no announcement. Now HBO and Showtime(including the HD channels) are in free preview mode Has charlie lost his mind ???? :D :lol: :p

2. Sep 3, 2005 #2 of 19
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    And my 921 dies just intime to miss the free preview.

3. Sep 4, 2005 #3 of 19
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I guess people complain about everything. Free previews and added channels at no more cost are a problem?

How are they supposed to announce it? Many people don't go to the Web site... mailers and phone calls are expensive... and not all of us watch all the channels were they to put an advert up there?

I could argue that in the case of HBO/SHO, it is more to their benefit to advertise the free preview anyway since they want more customers... but that's a different discussion.

I remember the time a relative of mine was given something for free... she didn't like it... and she wanted her money back. Funny, but sadly some people actually believe they suffer some loss on a free item they don't like.

4. Sep 4, 2005 #4 of 19
    juan ellitinez

Jan 31, 2003
    Who's complaining!!!!! Its more like shock and awe!!!! After waiting so long for the NFL channel it just suddenly appears out of no where Then they add the HD channels to the free previews(first time i remember them doing this) Then the college Football multicam thing..Either Charlie E* woke up and started to smell the coffee or they finally got rid of the idiot who made bad programming decisions!!!

5. Sep 4, 2005 #5 of 19
    juan ellitinez

Jan 31, 2003
    How about some TV commercials??? How about an announcement on channel 101 or 100?? There is no excuse for E* not to communicate with their customers How about an insert in the bill they send every month?? Funny theyu seem to be able to afford the telemarketing phone calls hawking their free dvr's There is no excuse for lack of communications when you own a communication company( yes cable/sattellite are communication companies!!!)

6. Sep 4, 2005 #6 of 19
    bcas400e

bcas400e Mentor

Nov 3, 2004
    My thoughts are they could tell us through EMAIL. They send me all kinds of other stuff in email, why not a notice for the preview weekend?

7. Sep 4, 2005 #7 of 19
    juan ellitinez

Jan 31, 2003
    Or just change the information crawler on channel 100

8. Sep 4, 2005 #8 of 19
    ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    having a labor day free preview is dumb anyways, everyone is on the road vacationing! Well, except me.

9. Sep 4, 2005 #9 of 19
    tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Oh I don't know, probably more people staying home this weekend than usual thanks to gas prices.

10. Chris Walker

Chris Walker Legend

May 19, 2004
    Speaking of which, anyone else find it interesting that the NFL Network was added shortly after Michael "We're in Negotiations" Shwimmer left Dish? Maybe they finally got someone who can close a deal.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I dislike the freeviews. I'm watching 30 minute HBO & SHO infomercials for programming to which I already subscribe. Like watching PBS during those extremely irritating fundraisers.

12. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    I agree Nick...I hate especially the fact that it also screws up the DVR timers as well due to these freeview infomercials running long.

13. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Sorry if I misinterpreted! So many threads of people complaining about stuff that they all run together in my brain!

14. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I sort of addressed this part in my post... What channel would they run the commercial on? I can go weeks without watching some of the channels... and I never tune to channel 101 unless I know there is a Tech forum that night. They can't make me tune to a particular channel... and if they ran crawlers across all channels, you can be sure a lot of folks would complain about that interference.

For that matter... HBO/SHO are offering the freeview, not Dish... so HBO/SHO are the ones who need to advertise, not Dish. And HBO/SHO options are even more limited as to where/how they advertise.

15. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Dish does have an email function built into all of their receivers, no? Whenever Comcast adds a new channel in my area, they send out an email to all the receivers.

Dish could also add a crawl on 100, 101, and Dish Home.

Additionally, it may be HBO and SHO offering the free preview. But, it is up to Dish to promote it as a premium package on their service. Also, those free previews are often only available on one service at a time. Many times I have seen a free premium only available on Comcast, but not D* or E*. Or, on E*, but not D*, etc.

16. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    No, even though the mail function is listed in the menu the code is no longer there on many receivers. DISH needed the memory space to do other things (like multiple slots) and had to remove the mail function.

As you said, they could do a scroll on channel 100 or 101.

My guess is that there will be a press release about the NFL channel on Tuesday, Sept.6th.

17. Phil T

Phil T Active Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    DirecTV used the mail function to notify about the Starz free preview next weekend but not the HBO and Cinemax this weekend.
    Weird.

18. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    "Give me, Give me, Give me, or I am leaving Dish!!! And you sure as hell better not charge me for it either!" (not all of you said this mind you, but a few of you did, and you know who you are!)

okay poof, nfl network, hbo/showtime preview

so what did you miss by them not saying anything? Would you have changed your weekend plans because they were offering hbo/showtime for free for a couple days? Apparently not, because you are home posting on this site, so you are able to watch the free preview. How much of the NFL network did you miss, 30 minutes, an hour. Seems to me it got posted pretty quick once it was up and running. And if having that stuff was so important, what are you doing sitting here readying this instead of soaking it all in? :rolleyes: ;)
    My hope is that they are busy working on adding a few more channels for the rest of us so that others who wanted channels can enjoy just as you NFL'ers can. And if they add what I want without notice, I promise, no I guarantee that I won't say a word about them not announcing it! I will just enjoy the fact that they are listening to ALL of their subs and not just one group of people.

19. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Why?

Who in this world doesn't know that HBO and SHO exist? People who want to pay for it, pay for it... people who don't, don't... Dish doesn't gain much by advertising HBO/SHO because most people who want it already know about it and have it... whereas HBO/SHO stands to benefit if they can convince people to try it out.

The free previewis for HBO/SHO... not Dish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.