1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's in a name

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Selenna, Oct 31, 2004.

Does the name and/or avatar a person uses influence your opinion of them?

1. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A little

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. It can, but not always

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. A lot

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. Yes

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selenna

Selenna Fair Lady of the forums DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 18, 2004
    I suppose it's shallow, but I do find that I can be influenced - more by the avatar than the name I think, though that may be simply because it can be changed so a new/different one gives me additional perspective. Of course what a person writes is what matters most, but I suspect I derive some input from at least some of the avatars here as well.

2. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Well, there are those avatars that make it very difficult to focus on what the person is writing. :D

3. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    I don't think it's shallow.

It also seems to me that a person's selection of avatar is intended to influence that perspective.

In the case of your avatar, I'm still scratching my head. A sexy blind justice. I like the art, and I like your posts, but can't quite figure out the avatar.

4. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Selenna is the voice of reason and balance in our heavily male dominated community.

5. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    Like mine huh?

6. Selenna

Selenna Fair Lady of the forums DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 18, 2004
    When I decided to customize my title we had a thread going about it in the Gold (supporter's) forum... one person suggested (as Bogey alluded to) that I was a voice of "balance" here. Another person suggested the title that I chose, "Fair Lady of the Forums"... one reason it appealed to me was the number of definitions for "fair". So when I looked for an avatar to match the title I wanted a lady of justice (balance) and also a fair lady - and this one, being both blond and good looking playing into that, was what I chose. It also appealed to my gaming side with the big sword in her hand ;)

And thanks for the compliment, I'm glad you like my posts. :)

7. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Thanks! ;)

8. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Yep. I am a great lover of satire!

9. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Well, 'Bogy' brings to mind bogus posts :D and Steveox brings to mind the old saying 'dumb as an ox'. :lol:

10. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    Kicks JB,

11. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    I think BuckeyeChris has a neat avatar i like it!

12. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    In the past I used several different crosses, but I've had the eagle with the flag superimposed for some time now.

13. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    When I think of something that represents the "voice of reason and balance in our heavily male dominated community", I know I first think of Superman.

I think an avatar represents the type of person, but it's just a starting point. I look at Danny's and see that he likes to look at beautiful women and isn't necessarily offended by those that might show more then the public views as decent. I look at RichW's and see a image of a Shriner and presume that he is affiliated with them somehow. I see Bogy's and see a patriotic eagle so I think he respects his country.

14. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I suppose that an avatar does give you sonme insight into the personality of the person that chose it. But I pay more attention to what people actually write here.

Having said that a poster ina nother forum I used to frequent chose an incredibly inappropriate avatar and many people never got past that.

15. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    My avatars actually have grown from what I first imagined them to be, largely because of the positive feedback I've gotten. Originally my intent was to highlight my "List", that group of celebrities which seem to be the ideal of beauty in my mind.

#1 was the lovely : Kate Beckinsale, and the picture was fairly modest.

I think I went into a bit more evocative when I jumped to #2 on my "List", Monica Bellucci, and discovered a picture that still enchants me.

Other features have included Eliza Dushku & Charisma Carpenter (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Morena Baccarin (Firefly sci-fi show), Amy Acker (Angel), Katherine Heigl (Roswell) and Keira Knightley (Pirates of the Car., King Arthur)

About a year later, I've since run out of folks who are actually on the list, but am now highlighting people who have the same sense of beauty found in others there, although they may not be as famous. I just retired Jessica Burke, who is a student at Miami and otherwise not especially famous. This next month is the much better known Brooke Burke (wonder if she's related), most often seen hosting the Wild On ... series on E!

In general one's "name" on a forum doesn't bother me, unless its something obviously stupid and ment to provoke a reaction.

I'm not certain who's avatar it was, but someone had a rotating dish that was extremely annoying due to the animation. Other than obvious psychedelic graphics, an avatar doesn't bother me.

16. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002

Not that it really matters but isn't it Brooke Burke?

17. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Yup. Edited. Thats what she gets for having simular first and last names. ;)

18. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Similar
    Huh? I thought it was an out-of-focus shot of your bowling ball.

One thing about abstract art - it's abstract. :rolleyes:

19. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    Superman is my favorite superhero. Hes better than batman. Hes better than the HULK. Hes way better than spiderman. Superman didnt have to take a job a reporter, He could have been a baseball player a pitcher would do. He could be the king better than nolan ryan. He could negotiate 30 million for 6 year contract and live nice. He could carry a cell phone where theres trouble he say excuse me run to the rest room and zooom he gone flying combat trouble then when he comes to put bad guys in jail he flys back to the bullpen everytime someone says where ya been ? could say i think i ate something bad this morning. :D

20. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Oh Steveox - Superman can make diamonds whenever he wants (I saw it in early DC Comics).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.