1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Whats left on C-Band?

Discussion in 'FTA / Non Small Dish Satellite Area' started by Dude111, May 29, 2014.

1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    There is someone in my neighbourhood that has a C-BAND dish and about 7 years ago a friend of mine had one...

Quite an interesting system...... ANY ANALOG STUFF STILL ON C-BAND??

Just curious as they seem to be trying to destroy this beautiful format and Im curious if there is any still out there?

2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    No one likes analogue anymore. Well except you.

1 person likes this.
  3. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Lol. I had C band for about a year in 1994.
    While it was better than nothing and cheap, it was a pain to channel surf on and once I stepped into sears in 1995 and saw Directv in action, I was sold.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

4. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    Just last weekend I started up my old 8' analog dish and its grown over by trees ! Got 3 channels Weather Channel, QVC,Cspan So yes there are channels and wild feeds

1 person likes this.
  5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    and many digital on C-band !

also AMS should be in analog too

6. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
  7. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I still have my old 8.5 foot NQS solid dish from back in 1985 when I installed it. Around 2000 I updated it with new LNBs and bought my first digital FTA receiver. I have three now. Two are MPEG4 HD and there are hundreds of FTA channels on both C and KU band. It is a great addition to Dish and the Roku. You can check out Lyngsat and see all of the channels that are available. Very little analog is available. Only a rel or shopping channel. I am not sure if CPAN is still there in analog, but there is very little. No one uses analog any longer. It is much more expensive to lease half of a transponder for analog. With digital a company only has to lease a small percentage of a transponder as there are a dozen or more in the bandwidth. But digital FTA is a lot of fun. By the way, METV and RTV are there FTA.

Patrick

1 person likes this.
  8. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    mwdxer can you get ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX ?

I can confirm on analog Cspan,weather channel,QVC still work

If I can get the major networks ! I can dump my Last direct tv receiver since I have everything on Hard Drive now with XBMC

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would go to lyngsat and find what sat have the channels, do tune the BUD and check ... ;)

10. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    Looks like after getting a Digital Tuner the C-Band will get ABC, CBS , NBC , FOX. You can just use a C Band LNB to get these at Galaxy 16 99.0W from the PR Mux (well except for CBS). For CBS you can point to Galaxy 3C or Galaxy 28 C Band and with the Weather channel that should cover everything ! :) Since all my cable shows and movies are on my Hard Drive !

11. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    CBand is invention.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea

we should stick with the topic: SATELLITES on C-Band.
    :backtotop:

13. jsb1980

jsb1980 New Member

Jul 11, 2014
    North Texas
    As of right now, reportedly, there is just QVC and C-SPAN left on analog. The Weather Channel finally decommissioned C3-13 (and Videocipher) on 6/26. Shepherd's Chapel analog is left on G4, but goes digital on 8/1.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    and that classical music channel - ARTS ?

15. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I just use the huge old antenna for OTA in the rooftop that we had since we bought the house several years ago.

16. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    Does that bring in many TV stations?

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

17. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    There are too many variables, it depends on your area, elevation, any obstructions, terrain, distance etc. What works for someone in one place may give you nothing if you're 50+ miles from the nearest station and are surrounded by buildings, trees or mountains. You can put your address in at TVFool.com who takes most of this into account, and it will give a prediction of what you can potentially get with some work. (i.e. green could come in with rabbit ears and a uhf loop, yellow would need either an attic or rooftop antenna, red would likely need a deep fringe directional antenna on a mast or tower taller than any nearby obstructions)

18. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    True but in your location how many TV channels do you receive?

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

19. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    Update :) finally got a new box Skybox A6 it is a DVR with IPTV ! And even has a multi media built in so you can play avi,mp4,mkv and all your photos ! Get all the major networks and a lot of subchannels. One channel I can't get with Direct TV is METV and I get it now !!! :)

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Did you get it from SES 1 in C-band ?
    http://www.lyngsat.com/tvchannels/us/Me-TV.html