1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the Best way to get new DVR?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gator5000e, Jan 28, 2012.

1. gator5000e

gator5000e Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    Altamonte...
    I have a HR20-700 that is really struggling to respond. It often takes numerous button presses to get anything to happen. Scrolling and channel changing is awful. I would really like a new DVR that would perform better but I can't say my current DVR iDisk broken. It's just old and not very responsive.

What would be the best way to get a newer model with better performance? Just buy one on my own? Call retention? I have been a D* customer since they first launched however long that is.

And what model should I shoot for? I only have 2 TVs and I'm not interested in the whole home set up. So would an HR24 be adequate?

Sorry for the basic questions and thanks for any thoughts or advice.

2. gator5000e

gator5000e Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    Altamonte...
    Oops meant HR20-700. Sorry.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The only way is to get one on your own via a dealer, like Solid Signal. DirecTV cannot guarantee you a specific model. In fact, they generally try to replace HR20's with HR20's because of the built-in off air tuner.

4. gator5000e

gator5000e Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    Altamonte...
    Thanks. That's what I figured. Even though I don't really need the whole home stuff would I be better off with the 34 instead of a 24? I don't know if my set up would allow a 34 to work as a basic DVR. Thanks again.

5. Papa J

Papa J Legend

Nov 26, 2007
    My HR20 started having problems and I called DTV. They replaced it free. I had to pay $20 shipping. I don't have the protection plan.

6. Caromsoft

Caromsoft Mentor

Jul 17, 2010
    I have the HR34 as my only receiver, it works great as a "basic DVR"...with 5 tuners! I have an HDMI distribution system so I can watch what is recorded on any of 3 televisions in the house, the same program of course but there are only two of us.

7. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    If you pay D* for a service call, the tech will replace the HR20-700 with an HR24. I got both of my HR22's replaced because of response and audio issues, but it cost me a service fee. It was worth it, because the tech fixed many connectors and replaced a bad LNB on my Slim5 antenna. Have a great day!