1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the current DirecTiVo Code Release?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by desslock, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desslock

desslock Mentor

Jun 19, 2007
    Hello to a new Forum.

I have a Samsung S4040R DirecTV TiVo unit that I have just put back on line. I made the collossal mistake of falling for DTV's "upgrade" to an R15-500 and have been in those forums since then trying to find out how to make the thing work. Boy, what a POS that device is.

Anyhoo, I have my trusty TiVo powered unit back up and running, and a new 215 hour hard drive on the way. I just couldn't take that R15 anymore and came back to the fold.

Can anyone tell me what the current code National Release/Version/Level is for DirecTiVo units? Mines been offline for 49 days (that's all it took for me to ditch the R15).

It is so good to be back.

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I have the same Sammy and it reminds me constantly that it needs to phone home, but it has been relegated to my workshop (without phone line) since we displaced it with a R15-500 about 18 months ago. It took a little getting used to, but I think the R15 is a better machine all the way around. Much faster and more capacity. We use the R15 and an HR20 most of the time and now the Tivo seems outdated and rather crude. IMHO

3. desslock

desslock Mentor

Jun 19, 2007
    After getting used to the weird user interface on the R15, I started to like it too. But, the inexcusable sin was that the R15 kept missing recordings. It couldn't tell the difference between a first run and a repeat and sometime would not even allow manual recordings. Some shows like Las Vegas, Supernatural and Weeds it would say there are no episodes in the guide. However, I found them in the guide and when I tried to manually record, the R-circle would appear on the guide, then remove itself.

That's not the behavior I can tolerate from a mission critical (to me) device. The R15-500 is going in the bedroom to record low priority shows and a new, bigger hard drive is going in the Sammy TiVo.

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Eventually the Tivo, as you know it, will go by the wayside, if it hasn't started already. D* is only going to support them for a limited time. As far as it missing recordings I don't know what to tell you, ours has been very reliable. If you have only had it a short time it may not have fully created the guide list or a history so it may not have accurate information on reruns/first runs, etc. A few family members have them with no complaints, maybe the next software update may help.

5. desslock

desslock Mentor

Jun 19, 2007
    From what I understand, D* just signed a contract to support TiVo for three more years. At the end of that I will definitly be ready for a new box of some kind. And perhaps they will have ironed out the R15 bugs. The R15 CEs have been very promising from what I hear and I think a National release is imminent.

Also, in three years time, I'm sure I'll be ready to delve into the world of HD. In fact, I think I'll be forced to. But that's ok, as long as the boxes of the time perform their primary function reliably.

As to having the R15 a short time, 49 days is plenty of time to fully paint the Guide. I actually had better performance when the box was new and it has been gradually getting worse.

6. or270

or270 Icon

Feb 12, 2006
    The way it was explained to me is that you can only have 1 series link per show and if the shows are on 2 different channels it would one work for 1 channel.

Tivo let you setup a season pass for a show per channel. So you can have several season passes for different channels.

7. bto4wd

bto4wd Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Apr 17, 2007
    Sure, if until 2010 is a limited time. :rolleyes:

Yes eventually the DTivos will go by the wayside. But the R15 already has.

8. bto4wd

bto4wd Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Apr 17, 2007
    To answer your question without attempting to blindly defend D*s new crap as others love to do, I believe the version your should be looking for is 6.2a (although there could be a "b" or "c" version but I may be confusing that with the HD Tivo). But if your unit has only be disconnected for 49 days you should be all set. Leave it hooked to the phone line for a week or two but I do believe 6.2a is the current version.

9. desslock

desslock Mentor

Jun 19, 2007
    You're missing the point. There WAS a series link for the correct channel, but the SL found NO episodes at all, even though they existed in the guides. When I deleted the SL, I still could not manually set any episodes to record. The R-Circle would appear, then disappear all by itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.