1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

What's the deal with this "Protection Plan" ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Hooterville, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville AllStar

Jul 11, 2010
    I get this flyer in the mail saying that I signed up for Directv Protection Plan at $5.99 a month.
    I call them up and they say I have no protection plan but yet it shows up on my latest bill.
    $105.00 a month for two HD TV's is high enough.
    If I'm paying for leased receivers why would I need a protection plan?
    I thought the dish and receivers were already covered by DirecTV.

Am I wrong?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The Dish isn't, or wiring. You own that. If a receiver goes bad, you pay shipping for the replacement, PP that is waived. You'd also pay for aiming service calls.

Generally if you get the PP and cancel within a certain time frame (90 days I think), there is a cancellation fee.

3. Hooterville

Hooterville AllStar

Jul 11, 2010
    I never ordered the protection plan.
    Just received a flyer in the mail saying that I have it.

please delete this post as I found my answer in the search.
    Should have searched first but my brain in not working tonight.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    No need to have the post deleted. Post the answer here that you found in case it might help out someone else.

- Merg

5. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    No, the offer is this. When you sign up, there is a 30 day no claim period. If you cancel during that time, there's no cancellation fee. Once it goes into effect there is an one time cancellation fee of $10 ($6 in California and Illinois) until the anniversary date. Then you can cancel with no penalty or renew.