1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Whats the fastest wireless router?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by saberfly, Sep 14, 2013.

1. saberfly

saberfly Legend

Apr 4, 2010
    Anyone have any input on this? Im thinking more about the wired ports than the wireless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

2. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    So, your question about wireless is really more about wired? Ethernet ports are either 100Mb/s or 1000Mb/s (1 Gb/s >> Gb = Gigabit). That is your choice when looking for wired ports in routers for the home. Typically, home computers and laptops have 1 Gb/s ethernet ports..so for fastest throughput, look for the same in a router.

Fastest wireless depends on several factors. Currently, the 802.11ac spec is the fastest, with speeds approaching 1 Gb/s.
    However, it all depends on three things:

1) the wireless spec at your computer/device--most are 802.11a/b/g (fast or slow, depending on your personal experience) or 802.11n (faster)
    2) the distance and barriers between the router and computer/device
    3) quality of the router--usually hit or miss (visit newegg and amazon for lots of reviews)

Personally, I'm waiting for the Almond+ (due out this month..supposedly)

Wired is theoretically more reliable and (almost) always faster. Do not get a Netgear WNR1000v2. That is all.

Here's a review link..
    http://reviews.cnet.com/best-wireless-networking-devices/

Good luck!

-=K=-

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Just get an outboard GigE switch and leave your router alone. Plug only the switch into the router and everything else into the switch.

You can get into a basic Trendnet model for around $25 with eight ports. Even the slowest of the GigE switches should be good for upwards of 650Mbps. In consumer gear, the Netgear GS608 scores a 692.8Mbps and the Trendnet TEG-S80G mentioned above turns in a score of 671Mbps.

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    And of course, you need at least Cat5 cables with properly installed connectors.

5. saberfly

saberfly Legend

Apr 4, 2010
    The almond is out now. It only has 2 ports but I guess a bigger switch can make up for that. It has good specs.

6. saberfly

saberfly Legend

Apr 4, 2010
    Ooops sorry I didnt see the +

7. saberfly

saberfly Legend

Apr 4, 2010
    Is cat6 best out right now?

8. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    There is cat7 but haven't seen specifics in a while and is probably a waste. 6 is realistically top dog

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

9. saberfly

saberfly Legend

Apr 4, 2010
    What will be the difference between just ethernet and cat6? Latency? Speed? Just curious.

10. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Cat (short for Category) 6 *is* ethernet - it's the rating of the ethernet cable.

Cat 6 is the successor to Cat 5 and Cat 5e. Cat 6 allows for longer cables that still support 1Gbps ethernet speeds. Cat5 was for 1Mbps.

I used to have Cat 5 in my house but I rewired everything with newer Cat 6.

11. saberfly

saberfly Legend

Apr 4, 2010
    So with comcast blast internet, about 60MBPS down and 12MBPS up, would there be any advantage to going from basic ethernet cables to cat 6? Just equipment to internet. No inter network file transfers.

12. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Nope.

13. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    The typical home LAN will never see a difference between Cat 5 and Cat 6.

A business might depending on their needs and traffic.

1 person likes this.
  14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If someone were to start fishing Ethernet through their walls etc, I would just go with cat6 regardless.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

15. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    In today's environment, you really only notice the difference between Cat 5 and Cat 6 (1Mbps vs 1Gbps) if you regularly transfer large (VERY large) files or if you're piping HD video all over the house to different rooms.

Also, large backups from multiple machines to a centralized place would stress a network - but only intially (not for incremental backups) or when huge updates/installations are done (like Windows, Office, etc).

I do all three.

16. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    On campus we are not tearing out Cat5 or 5e to move to 6e, but all new buildings get Cat6e.

They all get dual band N access points (Aruba AP105) all over the place, and we just completed an upgrade of our b/g/a APs to them.

17. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Best answer. Just about any modern router is faster than the Internet connection to which it is connected.
    If it's just an Internet speed issue, there's no need to be concerned with purchasing the fastest router.
    If LAN speed is a concern, then of course routers, switches, adapters, and cabling are all part of the equation. The LAN will only perform at the top speed of the weakest component in the employed circuit.